HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

1 And 2 The Cloisters And Church House

Hob Uid: 448313
Location :
Devon
Exeter
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SX9207092500
Summary : Exeter Cathedral cloisters are thought to have been part of the design of Bishop Quivil (circa 1280 AD), although probably not completed until many years after his death. Bishop Brantingham (circa1370) and Bishop Stafford are supposed to have been responsible for their building. Nos 1 and 2 The Cloisters, are two 3 storey houses of 1762. No. 1 is of dark red brick with rusticated brick quoins. Half the frontage of No. 2 is part of the above house. The other half is partly of stone and shows traces of the Cathedral Cloisters which were demolished in the 17th century. Church House is built on the site of the Cathedral Cloisters. The front facing Deanery Place is 3 storeyed of Heavitree stone and is late 18th century. The back, facing the Cathedral was a market and almshouse in the 17th century and is a 2 storey plastered building. Below, the open market has been filled in probably circa 1840 and there are doors and windows of this date.
More information : [SX 9206 9252] Cloisters (NR) (1)

The cloisters of Exeter Cathedral are thought to have been part of the design of Bishop Quivil (circa 1280 AD), although probably not
completed until many years after his death. Bishop Brantingham (circa1370) and Bishop Stafford are supposed to have been responsible for their building.
The beauty of the cloisters was destroyed in Cromwell's time, when all their rich ornaments were defaced and they were converted into a sergemarket. After the Restoration they were repaired in a plain style, but have since been wholly removed. (2)

Nos 1 and 2 The Cloisters (SX 9205 9251) Cathedral Close, are two 3
storey houses of 1762. No. 1 is of dark red brick with rusticated
brick quoins. Half the frontage of No. 2 is part of the above house.
The other half is partly of stone and shows traces of the Cathedral
Cloisters which were demolished in the 17th century.
Church House (SX 9207 9250) is built on the site of the Cathedral
Cloisters. The front facing Deanery Place is 3 storeyed of Heavitree
stone and is late 18th century. The back, facing the Cathedral was a
market or almshouse in the 17th century and is a 2 storey plastered
building with coved cornice, four moulded posts carrying the upper
storey are still visible. Below, the open market has been filled in
probably circa 1840 and there are doors and windows of this date.
(3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1932
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Magna Britannia 6 (Devon) pt 2 1822 205 (D and S Lysons)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Exeter, Devon, 18-JUN-1974
Page(s) : 33-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 871

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Designed 1280 completed 14th century
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1280
Monument Type : Cloister
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished and new building 17th century
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Almshouse, Cloister, Market
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1762
Monument End Date : 1762
Monument Start Date : 1762
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refronted late 18th century
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1767
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered circa 1840
Monument End Date : 1850
Monument Start Date : 1830
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : AIP Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : G.18.2001
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 88932
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 88933
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 88934
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SX 99 SW 20
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, EXETER ARCHAEOLOGY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, 1-2 THE CLOISTERS, CATHEDRAL CLOSE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2009-01-01
End Date : 2009-12-31