HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lulworth Castle

Hob Uid: 455400
Location :
Dorset
East Lulworth
Grid Ref : SY8533308217
Summary : A hunting lodge, later converted to a residence, built circa 1608 for Henry Howard, Lord Bindon and remodelled twice during the 17th century; first for Thomas Lord Suffolk between 1609-11, and again in 1641 for Humphrey Weld. Further alteration work was undertaken at some point during the 18th century by Bastard Bros. of Blandford, and in the 1780s by John Tasker. The building was gutted by fire in 1929. A restoration programme was carried out in 1993. The main front is of ashlar, with rubble stone elsewhere. It is square in plan, of 3 storeys and basement, with 4-storeyed circular corner towers, and is pseudo-military in style. The main entrance is on the east front, with a raised terrace, steps and balustrade. There is a simpler entrance on the west front. Lulworth Castle is in the care of English Heritage.
More information : (SY 85348218) Lulworth Castle (NR) (remains of) (NAT) (1)

Lulworth Castle of brick, faced with stone rubble and ashlar
comprises a four-square building of three-storeys with
four-storey towers rising above a basement which is partly masked
by a terrace. Construction was begun circa 1590 by Henry Howard,
2nd Viscount Bindon - though new information suggests circa
1608-and the exterior at least was completed by 1609; the
interior of the castle was still unfinished in 1641. There was
extensive remodelling in the mid 18th century with further
alterations in the 19th century (see plan). Lulworth Castle is
a military-looking structure wholly without military intent, and
is of special interest. The castle was completely gutted by fire
in 1929 and has not been restored. Grade 2*. (2-3)

SY 853822. Lulworth Castle. Scheduled. (4)

Lulworth Castle is at present being consolidated and
restoration of the western side has commenced.

Resurveyed at 1:2500 on M.S.D. from R.C.H.M. plan (2). (5)

Lulworth Castle. Grade II*. (6-7)

Now fully restored and open to the public. (8)

See the Scheduled Monument Record and the Register of Parks and Gardens for more information. (9-10)

A hunting lodge, later converted to a residence, built circa 1608 for Henry Howard, Lord Bindon and remodelled twice during the 17th century; first for Thomas Lord Suffolk between 1609-11, and again in 1641 for Humphrey Weld. Further alteration work was undertaken at some point during the 18th century by Bastard Bros. of Blandford, and in the 1780s by John Tasker. The building was gutted by fire in 1929. A restoration programme was carried out in 1993. The main front is of ashlar, with rubble stone elsewhere. It is square in plan, of 3 storeys and basement, with 4-storeyed circular corner towers, and is pseudo-military in style. The main entrance is on the east front, with a raised terrace, steps and balustrade. There is a simpler entrance on the west front. The Grade was altered from II* to I in 1998. Scheduled. (11)

Additional sources from "Country Life". Source 12 is a history of the castle published in 1926 before the fire, with numerous illustrations of the interior and exterior of the building, also a reproduction of a view of the layout of the house and surrouunding grounds in 1721. (12)

Source 13 is a shorter retrospective in Country Life of September 7th 1929, propted by the fire which had occurred a few weeks prior to publication. It notes some of the elements that were lost such as the ballroom ceiling. (13)

Source 14 is a study of Tudor and Stuart hunting lodges from Country Life noting Lulworth Castle as an example. (14)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1963
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of historical monuments in the County of Dorset. Volume two : south-east [in three parts]
Source details :
Page(s) : 146-149
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : EH Schedule Amendment, 5-MAR-1998
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Country Life
Source details : Article: 'Lulworth Castle, Dorset: the residence of Mr. Herbert Weld'
Page(s) : 52-60
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 59, 1926
Source Number : 13
Source : Country Life
Source details : Article 'Lulworth Castle', dated September 7th 1929, by "CH".
Page(s) : 330
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 66, 1929
Source Number : 14
Source : Country Life
Source details : Article by Mark Girouard 'Arcadian retreats for the chase: Tudor and Stuart hunting lodges'
Page(s) : 737-8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 134, 1963
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Wareham and Purbeck Rural District. Jan 1952
Page(s) : 27
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of ancient monuments in England: Volume 1, Northern England; Volume 2, Southern England; Volume 3, East Anglia and the Midlands
Source details :
Page(s) : 82
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JGB 06-JUL-81
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Purbeck District. October 1984
Page(s) : 55
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 373
Source Number : 7
Source : Dorset
Source details :
Page(s) : 194-5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Information from Purbeck District Council 07/12/1995
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 17/04/1997
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Dorset
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 12

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed c1608
Monument End Date : 1618
Monument Start Date : 1598
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled between 1609-11
Monument End Date : 1611
Monument Start Date : 1609
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled 1641
Monument End Date : 1641
Monument Start Date : 1641
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in C18th
Monument End Date : 1800
Monument Start Date : 1701
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Gutted by fire in 1929
Monument End Date : 1929
Monument Start Date : 1929
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored from 1993
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1993
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : DO 189
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 108606
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 106206
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : EH Property Number
External Cross Reference Number : 281
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 110930
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SY 88 SE 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 619247
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SY 88 SE 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1981-07-06
End Date : 1981-07-06
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14