HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Dobroyd Castle

Hob Uid: 46125
Location :
Calderdale
Todmorden
Grid Ref : SD9296023810
Summary : Dobroyd Castle is a large mansion house constructed in 1865 by John Gibson for John Fielden, son of 'Honest' John Fielden. It is constructed from pitch faced stone with a bitumen roof (formerly lead) and is designed to resemble a castle. It is said that the house was built by John Fielden as a result of his proposal of marriage to Ruth Stansfield, who, in jest, said she would accept if he built a castle on a hill. The building is two-storeys high with a four-storey entrance tower and is embellished with numerous turrets and bay windows. The ground floor projections are battered in many cases, producing a rugged effect, but the windows are uniformly large and practical, being mostly of 2-lights with basket arched heads and all sashed. The entrance front is of nine irregular bays, but the garden front to the south is of three bays with corner turrets and is symmetrical. To the north there is a service wing which ends in a glazed court. In the 20th century the house was used as a school and then it was used as a residential Buddhist centre and presently (from 2009) it is Robinwood Activity Centre.
More information : (SD 92962381) Dobroyd Castle School (NAT) (1)

SD 92SW TODMORDEN (former M.B.) DOBROYD ROAD

5/285 Dobroyd Castle

22.11.66

C.V. II*

Mansion house, now school. 1865 by John Gibson for John Fielden.
Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings, bitumen roof (formerly
lead). Castle style. 2 storeys with 4-storey entrance tower,
embellished with numerous turrets and bay windows. The ground
floor projections are battered in many cases, producing a
rugged effect, but the windows are uniformly large and practical,
being mostly of 2 lights with basket arched heads and all
sashed. Plinth, strings and tower which has a battered porch
of 2 storeys and a corner turret springing from parapet level.
The entrance front is of 9 irregular bays, but the garden
front to south is of 3 bays with corner turrets and is
symmetrical. The house is prolonged to the north by the service
accommodation which ends in a glazed court.

Interior: Impressive central hall through 2 storeys. Square
on plan with triple arcades to each side but open only on the
entrance side and to left which leads to staircase hall of
similar dimensions. The style is a florid mixture of Romanesque
forms with Gothic detail. Devonshire marble columns and pilasters
of 3 colours; carved work in Caen stone. Continuous hoodmould
with billet moulding. Heavy string course with corbel table
separates the storyes and supports an open gallery, the bays of
which, corresponding to the arcades below, have each 2 round
headed lights, and are separated by engaged columns. These
columns carry a continuous octagonal arcade, the spandrels
forming the squinches of a shallow glazed dome. From the centre
of this dome hangs a massive panelled pendant. All capitals are
heavily foliated and carry minute scenes of hunting and rural
life in all its forms. 4 of the tympana depict the cotton
industry. The initials of John and Ruth Fielden appears below
the corbel table, and on fireplace of red marble incorporating
clock. The interpenetrating staircase hall has the same details
above the corbel table but is largely occupied by an imperial
staircase with elaborate cast-iron balustrade. Set into the
openings of the blind wall are mirrors which produce a
startling effect of depth. The only alteration to this ensemble
would appear to be the removal of decorated glass from the hall
dome (but most survives to the staircase), the addition of
grills to the upper openings, and a heightened staircase
balustrade. The doors have good inlaid panels of walnut. Other
rooms have plaster cornices but none are elaborate. Illustrated
in D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture,
(London, 1978), p.86. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London,
1979, p.522.

5/286 Former stables to Dobroyd Castle

C.V. II

Stables now classrooms. 1865 by John Gibson for John Fielden.
Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings, felt roof. 7
symmetrical bays, the central 3 of which break forward in which
is semi-circular arched entrance to inner courtyard. To either
side lunettes. Over is corbel table, string and castelated parapet
which rises to central bay to form square tower which has
circular opening (blocked), possibly for clock. False
machicolation, castelated parapet surmounted by weather vane.
The outer bays have lunettes, deeper to left. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1967.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Calderdale, 22-FEB-1984
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1865
Monument End Date : 1865
Monument Start Date : 1865
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Now
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Retreat
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : C20
Monument End Date : 1999
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 339081
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1134570
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 92 SW 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1572550
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :