HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Quarr Abbey

Hob Uid: 461626
Location :
Isle of Wight
Fishbourne, Ryde
Grid Ref : SZ5662092660
Summary : Remains of Savigniac and Cistercian monastery founded in 1132 and dissolved in 1536. The remains and sites of the principal buildings of St. Mary's Abbey are within a pasture field on farmland belonging to the modern Quarr Abbey. The remains are not in a very good state of preservation but some work has been done on them by the Ministry of Works. They comprise briefly, the north end of the dorter, rising to circa 4 metres in height, the south west corner of the frater, to circa 6 metres height, the south wall of the kitchen, to circa 3 metres height, a building regarded by St. John Hope as the Woodhouse, (see Stone) a low, vaulted appartment at the north east corner of the frater, the southern end of the cellarium, incorporated into a 17th century barn and a fragment of the east wall of the infirmary hall just north of the infirmary chapel, of which all four sides can be traced, the north wall standing to circa 4 metres high. The sites of the abbey church, chapter house, cloisters and monks' cemetery are indicated by level places on the ground. Much of the precinct wall remains, largely to its full original height; there are the blocked remains of a north gateway. Some of the remains have been incorporated into the farmhouse.
More information : (SZ 5662 9266) Quarr Abbey (G.T.) (Remains of) (T.I.) (1)

Founded 1132 under Benedictine rule but c.1140 it changed to Cistercian. Dissolved 1536. (3)

In 1891 Mr. P. G. Stone excavated the site and recovered the ground plan, which is that of a normally arranged Cistercian house except that all the buildings are to the north of the
church. (2)

The remains and sites of the principal buildings of St. Mary's Abbey are within a pasture field on farmland belonging to the modern Quarr Abbey. The remains are not in a very good state of preservation but some work has been done on them by the Ministry of Works. They comprise briefly, the N. end of the Dorter, rising to c.4.0m. height, the SW corner of the Frater, to c.6.0m. height, the S wall of the kitchen, to c.3.0m. height, a building regarded by St. John Hope as the Woodhouse, (see Stone) a low, vaulted appartment at the NE corner of the Frater, the southern end of the Cellarium, incorporated into a 17thc. barn and a fragment of the E wall of the Infirmary Hall just N of the Infirmary Chapel, of which all four sides can be traced, the N wall standing to c.4.0m. height. The sites of the Abbey Church, Chapter House, Cloisters and Monks Cemetery are indicated by level places on the ground. Much of the Precinct Wall remains, largely to its full original height; there are the blocked remains of a N gateway.

(See Map Diagram at 1/2500). (4)

Stone from Quarr Abbey was used in the construction of forts at East and West Cowes, 1539-42 (SZ 59 NW 1, SZ 49 NE 10). (5)

Remains of Quarr Abbey at Old Quarr Farm. Grade 2. (6)

The Monastic fishpond was dug to the south of the Abbey church inside the enclosure wall. (7)

Brief history of the abbey and notes on the gunports in the enceinte dating from 1366-7. (8-12)

The gunports at Quarr Abbey are very rough-and-ready. The ashlar is reused Norman stonework. The outer face of the embrasure is of two rough slabs with a circular opening. Internally it is of four ashlar slabs, 24" wide and 28" high, the sill being only 2 feet above ground level. The gun used must have been quite narrow and with a light projectile. The nearest parallel to this type of port is that at Cooling in Kent, which is dated to 1381. (13)

Listed as a fortified monastery by Cathcart King. (14)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1907-42
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Stone, P G, 1891, Architectural Antiqueties of the Isle of Wight
Page(s) : 31-42,106-112
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 123
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 83
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1977
Source Number : 13
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 5
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 8, 1980
Source Number : 14
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 197
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 113
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 19-SEP-67
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 4 : 1485-1660 (Part 2)
Source details :
Page(s) : 536
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) I of W Medina-Ryde 5/1972 42
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Isle of Wight County Archaeology Unit, 1986, Archaeology of the Ryde District
Page(s) : 53,63,66-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hockey, S F, 1970, Quarr Abbey and its Lands 1132-1631
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Proceedings of the Isle of Wight Natural History and Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 358-61
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3, 1934
Source Number : 10
Source : Proceedings of the Isle of Wight Natural History and Archaeological Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 350-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 4, 1954

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1132-47
Monument End Date : 1147
Monument Start Date : 1132
Monument Type : Savigniac Monastery, Abbey
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licenced 1365
Monument End Date : 1365
Monument Start Date : 1365
Monument Type : Fortification, Precinct Wall
Evidence : Structure, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved 1536
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1536
Monument Type : Cistercian Monastery, Abbey, Refectory, Dormitory, Kitchen, Storehouse, Infirmary, Chapel, Precinct Wall, Gatehouse, Church, Cloister, Chapter House, Loopholed Wall
Evidence : Ruined Building, Structure, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built early C19
Monument End Date : 1832
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Isle of Wight)
External Cross Reference Number : 1072
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Isle of Wight)
External Cross Reference Number : 1073
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Isle of Wight)
External Cross Reference Number : 1076
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : I OF W 40
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 98364
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 411102
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 411103
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SZ 59 SE 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 212016
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 234413
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 461320
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 461634
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 459280
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 459319
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 459735
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 460411
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 234388
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 461367
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 437786
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 459923
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1408894
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 897258
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, QUARR ABBEY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1891-01-01
End Date : 1891-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SZ 59 SE 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1967-09-19
End Date : 1967-09-19
Associated Activities : Primary, NORTH OF QUARR ABBEY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, QUARR ABBEY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT QUARR ABBEY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2002-01-01
End Date : 2002-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT QUARR ABBEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2013-01-01
End Date : 2013-12-31