HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stokes Bay Lines

Hob Uid: 462047
Location :
Hampshire
Gosport
Gosport
Grid Ref : SZ5980098500
Summary : 19th century defensive works for Gosport consisting of a wide moat with 5 batteries .
More information : (SZ 587990 - SZ 608978) The Stokes Bay Lines built circa 1860, comprised a moat and rampart from Browndown to Gilkicker Lake with five batteries spaced at intervals.

Two of the batteries still exist, at SZ 592987 and at SZ 605981. (1)

SZ 605981. Fortifications south of Crescent Road scheduled (No. 475). (2)

The two batteries still exist, the latter occupied in part by the A.M.T.E. Physiological Laboratory. Published 1:2500 Surveys correct. (3)

The earlier defences at Stokes' Bay: With the threat of invasion by Spain in the late 1580's, the Earl of Southampton and Sussex, as Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire had in 1585, been appointed to prepare for invasion. In February and October 1587, they had petitioned the Primary Council with plans for the
defence of Stokes' Bay, and in the letter of October 10th 1587, Sussex had suggested enscarping the natural cliff at Stokes' Bay to present a `wall' 10-16 ft high, placing artillery behind it, and by building a sluice-gate, a moat could be created from the small creek that ran behind the shoreline. That some permanent solution was necessary may be seen from his observation of February 12th 1587 that `a thousand ships may lie there (i.e. Stokes' Bay) at road, without let or disturbance, and that at one instant 10-30,000 troops could be discharged'. In the event, no static defences were erected at Stokes' Bay before the Armada sailed. (4)

In a letter to his Commander-in-Chief on July 20th 1779, Lt. GeneralMonckton recommended that defensive lines should be thrown up at Stokes' Bay, but in 1782 and 1783, 6 detached gun platforms were erected on the edge of the marsh. They are called redoubts, but appear to have lacked all-round defence:

Redoubt 1: South of Palmerston Way (SZ 594 985) (Illus 6)
Redoubt 2: In Aldercliff Drive (SZ 598 986)
Redoubt 3: At the corner of Angelsey Rd & Stokes' Bay Rd (SZ 601 984)
Redoubt 4: A little way along Fort Rd (SZ 603 983)
Redoubt 5: Near the gate of the present AMTE Physiological Lab (SZ 605 981)
Redoubt 6: A little further South-East (SZ 607 979)

In addition to these, there were 3 temporary platforms, probably
abandoned after the war ended in 1783 (See Illustrations 6 and 7)

A - Close to what was the West shore of the lake (SZ 600 983)
B - South of the Alver at the West end of the present Stokes' Bay Rd (SZ 588 987)
C - On West of the present Bay School House (SZ 589 990)
(All grid references are approximations)

In 1795 there was an issue of guns to 5 of the redoubts (Redoubt 3 was excluded). In 1804 a committee recommended expenditure on 4 of the redoubts but apparently nothing was done. A very detailed map of 1820 shows 5 of the original redoubts but this time the fourth is excluded. That the redoubts were only temporary affairs can be seen from the fairly extensive plans that were being drawn up for the area. A pentagonal fort with 5 corner bastions had been proposed by the Duke of Richmond to the North of Bay House (centered at SZ 591 990) and work had indeed commenced when hostilities ceased in 1783. Only Redoubt No 3 survived the later contraction of the Stokes' Bay Line, as it is shown on a plan of the 1890's. There is no trace of it now. In 1852, 2 rear batteries were built at Browndown, one to the West of the Alver and the other where the present Browndown Battery stands (SZ 59 NE 7). (5)

Following the comprehensive review of the Portsmouth fortifications in 1859-60, it was was decided to erect a permanent barrier between the outer moat at Fort Monckton and Browndown. It comprised a moat and rampart behind it, except along the Eastern part near Palmerston Way where a second entrenchment was dug. Five gun batteries were emplaced and mobile artillery could be called upon from Fort Gomer (SZ 59 NE 8). The C18th Redoubts are shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1797 but do not appear on Gough's Map of 1826 (See Illus card 7). (6)

Description and history of the moat. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Portsmouth Papers 30 1979 W Defences of Portsmouth Harbour 1400-1800 62-63 (G H Williams)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DOE (IAM) List Anc Mons 2 1978 103
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JGB 04-FEB-83
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Gosport Records 4 1972 21-4 / 5 1973 27-9 / 6 1973 17-21 / 7 1973 8-13 / (G H Williams & B E D Williams)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Portsmouth Papers No 30 Western Defences of Portsmouth Harbour 1400-1800 Dec 1979 46 58-60 62 (G H Williams)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : OS 3" Sheet 75w pt 3 1797
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Fort : the international journal of fortification and military architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 57-61
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 11, 1983

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1860-5
Monument End Date : 1865
Monument Start Date : 1860
Monument Type : Moat, Beach Defence Battery
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : backfilled 1960
Monument End Date : 1960
Monument Start Date : 1960
Monument Type : Moat
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HA 475
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SZ 69 NW 24
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 238782
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 462038
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 462041
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 461598
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 461601
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SZ 69 NW 24
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1983-02-04
End Date : 1983-02-04
Associated Activities : GOSPORT HISTORIC CENTRE
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2013-01-01
End Date : 2014-12-31