HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lympne Castle

Hob Uid: 463996
Location :
Kent
Folkestone and Hythe
Lympne
Grid Ref : TR1192034670
Summary : Fortified house, formerly a residence of the Archdeacons of Canterbury. The east tower is probably 13th century in date, with a service range to the south and the 14th century hall to the west. The west tower is also 14th century, with a semi-circular extension added to the west side in the 15th century. The house was restored and extended in 1907 and 1911-12 by Lorimer. Sections of the original can be distinguished in the modern building. Built of ragstone, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs.
More information : [TR 11923467] Lympne Castle [NR] (remains of) (1)

Lympne Castle is a fortified manor house of the Arch-deacons of Canterbury dated, for the most part, to about 1420-30. Despite modern additions the nucleus of the old house can still be distinguished. After the Reformation the house was sometimes known as Court Lodge.
(2-5)

Lympne Castle was considerably restored in the early years of this century and although the external fabric is in good condition, the interior, as a result of army occupation during the 1939-45 war, is in a very poor condition.
GP AO/62/298/2: North front. (6)

Fortified manor house, Lympne Castle, Grade I. The present building dates from about 1425. It was restored and modern additions made to the north west in 1906/7 and 1911/12 by Sir Robert Lorimer. (For full description see list). (7)

Fortified house, Lympne Castle, Grade I, Castle Close. Probably 13th century, mid 14th century and 15th century. Restoration and additions from 1907 and 1911-12 by Lorimer. (For full description see list). (8)

Lympne Castle. Built of ragstone, on the edge of the escarpment above Romney Marsh. "Castle" is a courtesy title; Leland described it, more accurately, as "lyke a castelet embatelyd". From the 11th century Lympne was granted to the archdeacons of Canterbury, who treated it as a semi-fortified position. The oldest part, probably 13th century, is the square tower-like element at the east end, originally free-standing. In the 15th century the taller bow-ended tower was added to the west end, and the terrace running below the house at the edge of the escarpment has a defensive purpose. But Lympne was also made a comfortable residence. The main range between the towers dates from the 14th century (the third quarter probably, thinks Mr Rigold) and has a normal late medieval plan. The 13th century tower became the kitchen with other service rooms on the southside. Central open hall entered through the two-storeyed north porch, and with a fine crown-post roof. The fireplace in the dais wall of the hall is a typical Tudor modernization. (9)

Lympne Castle. Visited by the Royal Archaeological Institute on 29th July 1896. (10)

[TR 129347] (sic) Lympne Castle, Listed as a fortified manor house of 16th century. (11)

[TR 119347] Lympne Castle was granted to the archdeacons of Canterbury from the time of Lanfranc. In the 19th century Archdeacon Croft turned it into a private freehold and sold it. F.J. Tennant bought it in 1906 and added a large wing, but the medieval parts were carefully resotred by R. Lorimer. The house became a lesser counterpart to the Archbishop's castle of Saltwood. There must have been a gatehouse to the forecourt, but all that now remains is the E.-W. range, flanked by a rampart along the cliff-edge. Square tower of probably 13th century date. There may have been an earlier hall. The present hall abuts the tower at the screens and the"service" seems to have been south of the tower towards the rampart. This dates to c. the third quarter of the 14th century. In the second quarter of the 15th century, the chamber block was altered to form a D-shaped west tower. The porch was also modified to communicate with the old square tower. (12)

The old castellated manor-house is now occupied as a farmhouse. There is a bold, circular tower to the west of the range of buildings said by local historians to stand on a base of Roman work. Nothing of so old a date is, however, visible. (13)

Additional bibliographies - not consulted. (14-16)

Listed as a strong house by Cathcart King. (17)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : Arch Cant 30 1914 LII-LV illus (A Vallance)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 30
Source Number : 11
Source : A handbook of Kent's defences from 1540 until 1945
Source details : A Handbook of Kent's Defences 1540-1945 1977 38 (D Bennett)
Page(s) : 38
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : Arch J 126 1969 260-262 (SE Rigold)
Page(s) : 260-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 126
Source Number : 13
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : JBAA 40 1884 233
Page(s) : 233
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 40
Source Number : 14
Source : Country Life
Source details : Country Life 28 682-9
Page(s) : 682-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 28
Source Number : 15
Source : Some account of domestic architecture in England, from Richard II to Henry VIII. Part II
Source details : Dom Archit of England 2 1859 306 (TH Turner and JH Parker)
Page(s) : 306
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 2
Source Number : 16
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Antiquities of England and Wales 3 1787 66-67 113-114 (F Grose)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 17
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the islands. Volume I : Anglesey - Montgomery
Source details :
Page(s) : 238
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : Arch Cant 44 1932 294 (A Vallance)
Page(s) : 294
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 44
Source Number : 4
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details : JBAA 20 1914 206-207
Page(s) : 206-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 20
Source Number : 5
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : Arch Cant 18 1889 436-437 (WA Scott Robertson)
Page(s) : 436-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 18
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 CFW 10-DEC-62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOW(HHR) District of Elham RD Kent Sept 1960 25
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE(HHR) District of Shepway Kent 15 May 1986 11-12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : The Buildings of England
Source details : Buildings of England W Kent and the Weald 1980 394 (J Newman)
Page(s) : 394
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : The Archaeological Journal
Source details : Arch J 53 1896 387
Page(s) : 387
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 53

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Probably C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Fortified House, Service Wing, Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Mid C14
Monument End Date : 1366
Monument Start Date : 1333
Monument Type : Fortified House, Hall House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extended in C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Fortified House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored 1907
Monument End Date : 1907
Monument Start Date : 1907
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored 1911-12
Monument End Date : 1912
Monument Start Date : 1911
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 40541
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 175591
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 13 SW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TR 13 SW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-12-10
End Date : 1962-12-10