HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ford Manor Farmhouse

Hob Uid: 467104
Location :
Kent
Canterbury
Hoath
Grid Ref : TR2062065740
Summary : A post medieval farmhouse which incorporates part of the late medieval gatehouse of the Palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury. Most of the Palace was demolished in 1658. The existing building incorporates a wing of 15th century date but was refronted in red brick during the 18th century. Two storeys. Hipped tiled roof. Modern porch. The east front has the timber-framing exposed in one place and a small two-storeyed gable projection in the centre. An 18th century L-wing on the ground floor only. The interior contains exposed beams, inglenook fireplace and crown post roof of circa 1480. There is also a 16th century brick tithe barn with a king post roof. On low-lying ground beside the stream, there is a sub-rectangular piece of raised ground enclosed on three sides by a shallow depression which bears a superficial resemblance to a homestead moat.
More information : [TR 20626574] Ford Manor House [NR] (remains of) [NAT] (1)

The remains of the Bishop's Manor House at Ford (built by Cardinal Moreton between 1486 and 1501 and demolished in 1658) consists of a few fragments of massive walling. The present farmhouse known as Ford Manor stands on or near the site of the gate-house or lodge. A 16th century farm to the N.E.
of the farmhouse was probably part of the manor house buildings. Local tradition speaks of "fishponds" on the site and within comparatively recent years a moat adjoining the ruins has been filled in. There is, however, no reference in the Parliamentary Survey of 1647 to features such as these and so they may be subsequent additions.
A fragment of map dated 1624(5) shows "Forde Parke" extending as far as Oxenden Corner and contained on the W. and N. sides by roads. (2-5)

The remains of Forde manor-house consist of three fragments of walling and traces of a crosswall of a range of buildings lying E-W. The walling, standing to a maximum height of 4.0m is built of knapped flint and Kentish Ragstone bonded with medieval tile and Roman brick. (GP/AO/63/128/3) It has a moulded string course on the S. side.
At TR 20566574 there is a 16th century brick tithe barn with a king post roof. It is in fair condition. No evidence of the gatehouse, fish ponds or park pale could be found.
Centred at TR 20556566, on low-lying ground beside a stream, there is a sub-rectangular piece of raised ground enclosed on three sides by a shallow depression. It bears a superficial resemblance to a homestead moat. Surveyed at 1/2500. (6)

Ford Manor Farmhouse. Grade II. This building incorporates part of the late medieval gatehouse of the Palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury. Most of the Palace was demolished in 1658. Barn at Ford Manor situated to north-east of the house. 16th century. (7)

TR 205657. Ford Manor is listed as a moated site. (8)

Brief description of Ford Manor House. (9)

General Listing. (10)

Description of the Manor and the park. (11)


Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1933 illustration (BJ Bennett)
Page(s) : 168-173
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 45
Source Number : 11
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1904
Page(s) : 119-132
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 26
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG Kent Bridge-Blean RD Dec 1960 38
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Hist of Kent 9 1798 97-9 (Hasted)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Map of Ford 1624 (Anon) Pres of Herne Bay Records Soc
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 12.03.64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Kent City of Canterbury Bridge-Blean 1980 116
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Moated Sites Research Group report
Source details :
Page(s) : 47
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details : 1964 (HE Gough)
Page(s) : 205-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 79
Source Number : 10
Source : Archaeologia Cantiana : being contributions to the history and archaeology of Kent
Source details :
Page(s) : 221
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 93

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Moat
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15 Wing
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Architectural Component
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C18 Refronted/additions
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 171206
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 111269
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TR 26 NW 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON TR 26 NW 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-03-12
End Date : 1964-03-12