HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Bolton Priory

Hob Uid: 48289
Location :
North Yorkshire
Craven
Bolton Abbey
Grid Ref : SE0743054190
Summary : Bolton Priory was founded in 1155 by a community of Augustinian canons. In the early 14th century the priory fell on hard times but recovered and in the later years of the century a programme of rebuilding of the church and some domestic buildings took place. It was supressed in 1539. Following the Dissolution, the bulk of the priory estate was bought by the Clifford family, formerly patrons of the church since 1310. The priory was not immediately demolished. The nave of the church continued in use as the parish church, the corn mill within the precinct operated until the end of the 18th century and some of the cloister buildings were used as dwellings. Only the foundations of the cloister remain, and include the reredorter, prior's lodging, chapter house, frater, parlour, cellarage and infirmary. The gatehouse was eventually incorporated into the 18th century Bolton Hall. Various parts of the priory are Scheduled in addition to containing Grade I, II*, and II Listed Buildings. Please see the separate child records for the individual components of Bolton Priory.
More information : [SE 0743 5419] Remains of BOLTON PRIORY [GT] (Augustinian)
FISH POND [GT] WALL [GT]

A priory of Augustinian Canons, founded originally at Embsay in
1120, and moved to Bolton in 1154-5. Extensive remains include
the church, partly in use as the parish church; the gatehouse
incorporated in Bolton Hall; the remains of the domestic buildings:
and parts of the precinct wall.

Besides those noted above, other remains of the Priory consist
of an isolated chimney breast, fragments of walling (all previously
published on O.S.25") and two fish ponds. All structural remains
are well maintained and (apart from the gatehouse) open to the
public. The restored nave to the Priory Church is still in regular
use as St. Mary and St. Cuthbert's Church. The published survey
(25") of the fishponds and claustral buildings has been revised.
See G.P.s AO.64.96.1 - 4.

Minor changes only since previous report.

A Church of Saint Mary

Parish Church. The nave of the Priory. A rich thirteenth century
west front is partly hidden by the sixteenth century tower
which was never completed. There is an aisle on the north side
with fourteenth century windows.

I Priory of St. Mary remains

A house of Augustinian Canons of which, as well as the present
parish church, the ruined chancel and transepts remain. Mainly
fourteenth century, but with interlacing Norman arcading on
either side. Foundations only of other buildings around the
cloisters remain.

II The Rectory

A late C.17 early C.18 building incorporating some C.15 work,
part of the Priory Infirmary. The house was formerly the Boyle
School a fact commemorated in an inscription on the porch. Two-
storey gabled porch with a four-light window in the upper storey.
Rusticated door with semi-circular pediment like drip moulding
over. Left of the porch in the upper storey are two four-light
windows and one two-light; below, two square windows altered and
one four-light mullion and transom window. To the right of the
porch are three four-light windows, and in the ground storey an
eight-light mullion and transome window and two square windows.
At the east end is a gabled building heavily buttressed with
a good mullioned C.15 window facing the Priory.

II Fireplace and Chimney to the South
of the Rectory

A fragment of the Priory guest house C.15 or C.16.

II Bolton Abbey Hall

The Priory gatehouse converted and extended C.16 and modernised
C.19. The arch of the great gateway has been blocked and pierced
with traceried windows. The tower itself has corner turrets
and battlements. At other side are two-storey wings and there
is a gabled wing forward on the right hand side.

II Abbey Mill and Aqueduct

The mill apparently C.16 has been altered. The aqueduct is a
triple arched feature spanning the road with a broad central three
centred archive and two needles eyes, rusticated and much
weathered, and apparently C.17/C.18.

II The Arches

A plain C.18/C.19 house of two storeys with three windows in the
upper storey and two below, and a plain centre doorway but with a
broad band of carved mediaeval stonework from the abbey above the
door.

II Precinct wall of Priory

A massive buttressed wall by the roadside.

SE 072538. Bolton Priory. Scheduled No 610. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 128
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 03-Jul-97
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Craven 08-APR-1987
Page(s) : 35-41
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Bolton Priory rentals and ministers' accounts, 1473-1539
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.132
Source Number : 13
Source : Guide to Harrogate, Knaresborough, Ripon, Ilkley, Bolton Abbey, Fountains Abbey, York and the Dales
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 148
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Yorkshire : the West Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 109-114
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Publications of the Thoresby Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 178-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 30 (1928)
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RL 24-FEB-64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5a
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1909
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RE 04-AUG-81
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Skipton Rural District May 1950
Page(s) : 20
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of ancient monuments in England: Volume 1, Northern England; Volume 2, Southern England; Volume 3, East Anglia and the Midlands
Source details :
Page(s) : 62
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1
Source Number : 9
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : North Yorkshire
Page(s) : 3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1155
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NY 610
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 28252
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 111682
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 323722
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 323723
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 05 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 48335
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 1166612
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 48297
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1168076
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1168082
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 522682
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 558355
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1168088
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1168116
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1168122
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1367083
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, BOLTON ABBEY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1900-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 05 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-02-24
End Date : 1964-02-24
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 05 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1981-08-04
End Date : 1981-08-04
Associated Activities : Primary, PRIORY CHURCH, BOLTON ABBEY
Activity type : GEOPHYSICAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2017-01-01
End Date : 2017-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, PRIORY CHURCH, BOLTON ABBEY
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 2017-01-01
End Date : 2017-12-31