HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Harewood House

Hob Uid: 53207
Location :
Leeds
Harewood
Grid Ref : SE3115044630
Summary : A country house that was constructed during 1759 by John Carr and Robert Adam, and altered in 1843 by Sir Charles Barry. The house comprises a main block of nine bays and two storeys with flanking one storey pavilions. Henry Lascelles (1690-1753) became involved in the slave trade in Barbados and in Africa and in 1759 his son Edwin, the Earl of Harewood, used this slave trade wealth to finance the houses construction. Edwin Lascelles also laid the foundation stone of Harewood House.
More information : (SE 3115 4463) Harewood House (NAT) (1)

Harewood House. Grade I.

Begun in 1759. Original plans by John Carr. North facade is Carr's.
Interiors by Robert Adam. South front altered by Sir Charles Barry in
1843, when the Italian parterre was also made. Built of local stone,
the N front has a 9-bay centre of 2 storeys on rusticated basement.
Giant attached Corinthian columns, alternating pediments to ground
floor windows, 5 bay pediment richly carved and top balustrade.
Either side extend 3-bay connecting links of one storey and one-bay
angle pavilions with Venetian windows. Home of HRH Princess Royal. (2)

Henry Lascelles (1690-1753) became involved in the slave trade in Barbados and Africa, and established a commission house in London with his brothers, importing sugar. At the time of his death, he held shares in 21 ships involved in the West Indies trade. In 1759 his son Edwin, earl of Harewood, laid the foundation stone of Harewood House. (4)



Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:2500 1965
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Wetherby Rural District, May 1962
Page(s) : 10
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : West Yorkshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 45
Source Number : 4
Source : Sites of memory : the Slave Trade and abolition
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1759
Monument End Date : 1759
Monument Start Date : 1759
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1843
Monument End Date : 1843
Monument Start Date : 1843
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 422867
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 34 SW 13
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 53165
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1030196
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1068665
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 53208
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, HAREWOOD HOUSE: TEMPLE OF VENUS
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 2001-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31