HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Penhill Templars Preceptory

Hob Uid: 48680
Location :
North Yorkshire
Richmondshire
West Witton
Grid Ref : SE0357088770
Summary : House of the Knights Templars at Penhill founded by Roger Mowbray circa 1142, dissolved 1308-12 and passed to the Knights Hospitallers who accounted it worthless in 1328 due to its ruinous state. The foundations of the chapel were exposed in the 19th century, and the undulating surface around suggests further buildings.
More information : (SE 03578877) Chapel NR) (Remains of). (1)

Remains of a preceptory of the Knights Templars. (2)

House of the Knights Templars at Penhill (SE 0486 on OS 6")
founded by Roger Mowbray c 1142, dissolved 1308-12 and passed
to the Knights Hospitallers who accounted it worthless in 1328
due to its ruinous state. (3)

Remains of four stone walls approximately 3ft high x 4 1/2ft thick
with interior walls at E end only a few inches above ground level.
Gate of 'doorway' space in S wall. (4)

Templar's chapel of Our Lady and St Catherine Gde II. (5)

A chapel in the preceptory of the Knights Templar, built in the
12th century and handed over on their suppression in 1312 to the
hospitallers.

The chapel, the remains of which were uncovered in 1840, served
adjoining residential buildings that have not been exposed. (6)

The renovated remains of the chapel measures 17.5m east to west
by 6.8m internally with walls 1.3m wide and 1.1m maximum height.
There is a doorway 1.3m wide in the west end of the south wall.
In the centre of the main floor are three stone coffins with cover
slabs, whilst in the chancel is the stone base of an altar.

Published survey 25" revised. (7)

SE 0360 8874. Penhill Preceptory. Scheduled RSM No 24502. Slight
earthworks around the renovated chapel indicate the position of
other buildings contemporary with it. There is at present no
evidence for the existence of a defined precinct boundary to the
site. (8)

SE 0354 8894. The site contains the remains of two preceptory centres. The preceptory at Penhill was first mentioned in c1170-1181 but was apparently relocated further south in 1202. The second preceptory was occupied until 1307 when the Templar was suppressed. Between 1309 and 1312, Penhill was acquired by the Knights Hospitallers who seem not to have developed the site, as the buildings were ruinous by 1338.
The site of the first preceptory comprises the earthwork remains of a courtyard defined by ranges of buildings. A second courtyard lies on a higher terrace. A 20 metre square earthwork is interpreted as the footings for a tower - a feature of all Templar preceptories.
The second preceptory lies to the south and follows the same basic pattern, with the remains of a courtyard lying south east of the chapel, and earthworks representing further building ranges.
The site of a mill lies west of the chapel and courtyard, with earthwork remains of the mill buildings and associated mill ponds and water channels.
Some sections of the estate boundary survive to the east of the site, visble as earthen banks, and the earthwork remains of structures and activities associated with the wider estate survive across the site.
The remains of a coaxial field system survive as a series of banks running across the site. These banks are up to 5 metres wide, 40 metres long and lie about 20 metres apart on average. The date of this field system is unclear.
Scheduled. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference
Source details : ONB 1910 15
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 292,294
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Large Scale / Small Scale Map Revisers Comment
Source details : SS Reviser 19.10.50
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Leyburn RD July 1966 40
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : D of E Notice Board on site.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 AGM 17-AUG-77
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage Scheduling Amendment 16/8/94
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling Revised, 06-OCT-2000
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : First mentioned c1170-1181
Monument End Date : 1181
Monument Start Date : 1170
Monument Type : Chapel, Templars Preceptory, Courtyard, Tower
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Relocated 1202 - suppressed 1307
Monument End Date : 1307
Monument Start Date : 1202
Monument Type : Templars Preceptory, Chapel, Coffin, Grave Slab
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Held by Knights Hospitallers
Monument End Date : 1338
Monument Start Date : 1308
Monument Type : Chapel, Hospitallers Camera
Evidence : Ruined Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Uncertain
Display Date : Date unknown
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Coaxial Field System
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NY 311
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 24502
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 08 NW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, PENHILL
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1880-01-01
End Date : 1889-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 08 NW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-08-17
End Date : 1977-08-17