HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 1109391

Hob Uid: 1109391
Location :
Greater London Authority
Tower Hamlets
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3350080400
Summary : The Great Hall at the Tower of London was built during the reign of Henry III and was accessed via the Wakefield Tower and extended to the Lanthorn Tower. In 1336 it was heightened and re-roofed and the windows of the north wall were replaced. After use by royalty the hall was incorporated into new storehouses and offices of the Ordnance which in turn were pulled down in 1775-1777.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : English Heritage book of the Tower of London
Source details :
Page(s) : 27,28,32,49,57,67,89,109
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built between 1216
Monument End Date : 1272
Monument Start Date : 1216
Monument Type : Great Hall
Evidence : Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Altered 1336
Monument End Date : 1336
Monument Start Date : 1336
Monument Type : Great Hall
Evidence : Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished 1775-1777
Monument End Date : 1777
Monument Start Date : 1775
Monument Type : Government Office
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 1558
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :