HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Acton Town Station

Hob Uid: 508142
Location :
Greater London Authority
Ealing
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ1949079590
Summary : Acton Town station opened as Mill Hill Park on the 1st July 1879 to serve the District Line extension from Turnham Green to Ealing Broadway. The initial brick built station was designed by a Mr Clemmence under the supervision of John Wolfe-Barry. The station was rebuilt in February 1910 and renamed Acton Town on the 1st March 1910. Following Parliament's approval in 1930 to allow for the extension of the Piccadilly Line, many of the western surburban stations that were to be served by the Piccadilly were wholly or partly rebuilt. One of these such stations was Acton Town which was rebuilt to the designs of Charles Holden in 1932. It is of reinforced concrete post and lintel construction with red brick infill, some load-bearing. The station is symmetrical, almost square, in plan with a double-height ticket hall flanked by kiosks on a bridge, from which a parade of shops descends to Bollo Lane. From the ticket hall enclosed stairs descend to platforms under integral concrete canopies on paired piers in alternating broad and narrow bay formation. The narrow bays a part infilled by kiosks, integral poster boards, roudel signs and fixed seating. The platforms are linked by a secondary bridge at the southern end. The ticket hall has a projecting roundel sign over a canopy, and three double-height paired windows to the street frontage with similar windows at the upper rear level. Acton Town was first served by Piccadilly Line trains on the 4th July 1932.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Ealing, 35th amendment added 17-MAY-1994
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 962
Source Number : 2
Source : Underground Architecture
Source details :
Page(s) : 18, 44, 45, 76, 82, 106, 122
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The London Underground: A Diagrammatic History
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Opened 1879
Monument End Date : 1879
Monument Start Date : 1879
Monument Type : Underground Railway Station
Evidence : Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Rebuilt in 1910
Monument End Date : 1910
Monument Start Date : 1910
Monument Type : Underground Railway Station
Evidence : Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Rebuilt in 1932
Monument End Date : 1932
Monument Start Date : 1932
Monument Type : Underground Railway Station, Shop
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 19106
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 432264
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 17 NE 109
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :