HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Embankment Station

Hob Uid: 509221
Location :
Greater London Authority
City of Westminster
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3040080370
Summary : Embankment station is one of several on the Underground to have gone through intermittent name changes in its long history. The original District Line station opened in 1870 as Charing Cross, and was constructed over typical cut-and-cover tunnels built into the new Victoria Embankment. The Bakerloo station of 1906 was called Embankment, and altered to Charing Cross (Embankment) when the Hampstead line terminus platform and reversing loop were added in 1914. The following year the combined stations became Charing Cross. The plan to extend the Hampstead line southwards in the 1920s, in order to link up with the old City and South London at Kennington to form the Northern Line, led to the removal of the loop. This was replaced by a new platform for southbound traffic below Villiers Street, the old platform being retained for northbound traffic. This was completed in 1926, when a major reconstruction programme for the station was begun. Congestion in the old layout led to a new, larger booking hall being built next to the arcade linking Villiers Street and the Embankment entrances. A concourse was built below the District platforms to make a convenient interchange between the three lines, and new staircase and escalators were constructed. Interior decor was of white, rectangular tiling, with green and black. This unified the new interior elements, the old Bakerloo/Hampstead platforms remaining as built. Further minor improvements were made to the station for the Festival of Britain in 1951. The station was renamed Charing Cross Embankment in 1974, and again as Embankment in 1976 in preparation for the opening of the Jubilee extension to Charing Cross station in the Strand.
More information :

Sources :
Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Opened 1870
Monument End Date : 1870
Monument Start Date : 1870
Monument Type : Underground Railway Station
Evidence : Subterranean Feature, Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 22122
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 38 SW 1858
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1310478
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1309781
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1333875
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :