HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Mill Hill East Station

Hob Uid: 509617
Location :
Greater London Authority
Barnet
Grid Ref : TQ2405091460
Summary : Railway station, opened as Mill Hill on 22 August 1867 by the GNR on its single line from Seven Sisters to Edgware, a distance of 8.75 miles. The line had initially been initiated in 1862 by the Edgeware (sic), Highgate and London Railway with the GNR acting as sponsors. However, in July 1867 it was absorbed by the GNR. On 18th May 1941 tube trains were extended over the single line to what was now called Mill Hill East, principally to serve the barracks. The New Works Plans of the 1930s proposed that the line from Mill Hill East to Edgware should be electrificed and become part of the Northern Line. Known as the Northern Heights, this scheme did not materialise due to the intervention of the War and subsequent post War Green Belt legislation. In 1964 the track beyond Mill Hill East was lifted and the station is now a terminus on a short branch of the Northern Line.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Greater London
Source details :
Page(s) : 162-63, 165
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.3
Source Number : 2
Source : The London Underground: A Diagrammatic History
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Abandoned Stations on London's Underground: A Photographic Record
Source details :
Page(s) : 89
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Opened 1867
Monument End Date : 1867
Monument Start Date : 1867
Monument Type : Railway Station
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : First served in 1941
Monument End Date : 1941
Monument Start Date : 1941
Monument Type : Underground Railway Station
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 24220
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 29 SW 40
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1309781
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :