HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Nunnery

Hob Uid: 51447
Location :
Leeds
Arthington
Grid Ref : SE2888045150
Summary : Stone-built house dated 1585 on the spandrel of the door, probably incorporating fragments of the former Cluniac nunnery founded 1154 dissolved in November 1539.
More information : [SE 28884515] The Nunnery on site of Priory [GT] (Cluniac Nuns). (1)

The Priory of Arthington, the only house of Cluniac nuns in the county, was founded by Peter de Arthington either at the end of the reign of Stephen [1135-54] or at the beginning of that of Henry II [1154-89.] The house was surrendered on November 26, 1540. (2)

Arthington Priory founded c.1154-5. (3)

Not a vestige of the nunnery at Arthington remains. (4)

There are no visible remains, or traces of the priory at Arthington. Its traditional site falls in a pasture field to the north of the present buildings. Here the owner, Mr. R.L. Pickard, indicated an area, centred at SE 28904522, where the ground is hummocky, and which he claims shows marked differences in grass texture in dry weather. The house, known as The Nunnery, at SE.28884515, is a three storeyed, dressed stone structure. Inset into the lintel of the door are two small, stone shields inscribed T.B. 1585, and I.B. Although these may be insertions, there seems no reason to suppose that this doorway is other than contemporary with the remaining fabric of the house.
See G.Ps AO/61/61/7 and AO/61/62/1 for southern, and north eastern elevations. (5)

Condition unchanged. (6)

II* The Nunnery (formerly listed as "Arthington Nunnery")
House, incorporating some fabric of former nunnery. Dated 1585 in spandrel of door; altered and restored. Interior spiral stone staircase - probably remains of tower of nunnery. Three storeys. Two storeyed oriel window above the doorway. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Victoria County History Yorkshire Vol.3 1913 pp187-90 (T.M. Fallow)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales 1953 p222 (D. Knowles & R.N. Hadcock).
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Yorkshire Vol.3 1831 p384 (T. Allen)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R W Emsley/07-FEB-1961/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : R Lewis/03-JUL-1963/Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings City of Leeds West Yorkshire 07-APR-1988 p65
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1154
Monument Type : Cluniac Nunnery, Priory
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1660
Monument Start Date : 1585
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 31244
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 24 NE 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1371640
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1373057
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 24 NE 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1961-02-07
End Date : 1961-02-07
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 24 NE 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-07-03
End Date : 1963-07-03
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14