HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Salford Quays

Hob Uid: 516326
Location :
Salford
Salford
Salford
Grid Ref : SJ8060097180
Summary : Salford Docks were built by the Manchester Ship Canal to accommodate the cargo created by the opening of the Ship canal in 1894. The docks had a water area of 120 acres and the dock estate area covered 1,000 acres, excluding Barton Docks. Lines ran for 6.5 miles along the quays and the docks were arranged like the fingers of a hand with accommodation for warehousing and for bonded goods. The importance of the docks declined when Shell built its enormous oil refinery at Stanlow in 1949-51. Moreover, the growth of containerisation from the mid-1960s meant the death of Manchester as a port, as it was not large enought for the huge container ships. The docks finaly closed in 1982 with Salford City Council acquiring the majority of it from the Ship Canal Company. Today the dock area, under the guise of Salford Quays, is enjoying a new lease of life as a result of the efforts brought about by the 1985 Salford Quays Development Plan. This comprehensive development scheme as brought new uses to the former docks in the form of offices, residential accommodation and leisure facilities of which the newly opened 'Lowry' museum and theatre is the most nationally known. Opposite the Lowry, on Trafford Wharf, the Daniel Libeskind designed Imperial War Museum of the North.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Rich Inheritance
Source details :
Page(s) : 188-9, 283
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Manchester Ship Canal and the rise of the port of Manchester, 1894-1975
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : The Lowry, About Salford Quays [Accessed 18-FEB-2005]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1888-1894
Monument End Date : 1894
Monument Start Date : 1888
Monument Type : Dock
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1888-1985
Monument End Date : 1985
Monument Start Date : 1888
Monument Type : Bonded Warehouse, Warehouse
Evidence : Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence, Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Closed in 1982
Monument End Date : 1982
Monument Start Date : 1982
Monument Type : Dock
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Developed from 1985
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1985
Monument Type : Office, Apartment, House
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 35842
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 89 NW 226
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14