HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Studley Royal Hall

Hob Uid: 52142
Location :
North Yorkshire
Harrogate
Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains
Grid Ref : SE2779870135
Summary : Site of a 15th century manor house situated in the northwest area of Studley Royal Park. The house was rebuilt by John Aislabie following a fire in 1716. In 1931 the house was described as having a Tudor core comprising a traditional type gabled building. Facing south, the main front consisted of a deeply recessed centre, which contained the hall, between projecting wings. John Aislabie filled in the centre with a two-storeyed hall in front of which his son William added Gothic style portio in 1762. The west front was refaced in simple classic manner, but the treatment was never extended to the north wing of the main elevation. William also conducted an extensive programme of repairs to the house in 1744 which also included the addition of anxillary buildings. Further work took place during the later 1740s and in the 1750s. The building was destroyed by fire in 1946 and the residence was transferred to the High Stables (Monument HOB UID 52163). Excavations near the site of Studley Royal Hall in 1989-91 discovered a number of features associated with the hall. Further research has shown that the hall had its own formal garden, a walled court (by 1682), and an orchard (1688). The excavations also recovered the plan of a high status predecessor to the hall, and evidence of its attendant vill. Parchmarks indicating the foundations of Studley Royal Hall, probably of the post medieval layout, are visible on recent air photos.
More information : [SE 2780 7012] Studley Royal and remains of [T.I.] Manor
House [GT]. (1)

At Studley Royal Hall part of the 15th c. house survived the
rebuilding after a fire in 1716. (2)

The Hall was destroyed by fire in 1945. There are no remains.
(3)

Studley Royal House (National Trust site number 30006)Excavations near the site of Studley Hall in 1989-91 discovered a number of features associated with the hall. Further research has shown that the hall had its own formal garden, a walled court (by 1682), and an orchard (1688) connected to the house by a wall. The excavations also recovered the plan of a high status predecessor to the hall, and evidence of its attendant vill (Monument HOB UID 1093430). Studley was described in 1931 as comprising a Tudor core of a traditional gabled building. Facing south, the main front consisted of a deeply recessed centre, probably containing the hall, between projecting wings. John Aislabie filled in the centre with a two-storeyed hall in front of which his son William added a Gothic style portico in 1762. The west front was refaced in simple classic manner, but the treatment was never extended to the north wing of the main elevation. William also conducted an extensive programme of repairs to the house in 1744 which also included the addition of anxillary buildings. Further work took place during the later 1740s and 1750s.

Air photographs showing the foundations of the former Hall, and of the 1990 excavations are held at the NMRC. (4-5)

Parchmarks indicating the foundations of Studley Royal Hall, probably of the post medieval layout, are visible on recent air photos. These generally accord with the layout of the building that was depicted by the Ordnance Survey in 1856 (see source 1). To the south and east there are traces of a formal garden, these are recorded in UID 1517533. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1956.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ancient Buildings of Harrogate District, 1946, p.25 (E.S. Wood)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RWE 21-FEB-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Air photographs at NMRC: NMR SE2770/14-39 and SE2770/45
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Estate: an Archaeological Survey. The National Trust
Source details :
Page(s) : 2, 210, 273-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SE 2770/5 NMR 12020/02 08-AUG-1990
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1401
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Documented 1682
Monument End Date : 1682
Monument Start Date : 1682
Monument Type : Courtyard, Formal Garden
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Documented 1688
Monument End Date : 1688
Monument Start Date : 1688
Monument Type : Orchard
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt following a fire in 1716
Monument End Date : 1716
Monument Start Date : 1716
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Programme of repairs
Monument End Date : 1744
Monument Start Date : 1744
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Alterations and addition late 1740s-50s
Monument End Date : 1759
Monument Start Date : 1747
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Additions of 1762
Monument End Date : 1762
Monument Start Date : 1762
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Destroyed by fire 1946
Monument End Date : 1946
Monument Start Date : 1946
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Trust Project Reference Number
External Cross Reference Number : 30006
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY14576
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 27 SE 9
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1517575
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 52163
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1534479
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1093761
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 51924
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 52163
Relationship type :
Associated Monuments : 1517533
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 27 SE 9
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-02-21
End Date : 1963-02-21