HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hound Hill

Hob Uid: 52467
Location :
Barnsley
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SE3366004140
Summary : A post-Medieval manorhouse built c1566 and detached tower built as part of the house's fortifications during the Civil War, c1640-44.
More information : [SE 3372 0414] Hound Hill [G.T.]
[SE 3366 0414] Tower [G.T.]
[SE 3375 0413] Tower [G.T.] (Remains of) (1)

"Houndhill is a pile of buildings old and dilapidated, some portions of which are built in the wood and plaster style of former ages. This is a very old residence of the family of Elmhirst, for in Richard Elmhirst's instructions, written in 1638, it is stated that 'Houndhill and Elmhirst are both coppihould and had been demised to his ancestors for 12 descents last past.'
" Roger Elmhirst (died 1594), was succeeded by his son Robert (died 1618) "... and probably about this time a great portion of the present building would be erected. Across one of the gables is a large beam, on which is inscribed the date, 1066; but there is a far greater probability that the date should be 1606 ...... Richard Elmhirst ... succeeded to Houndhill ... in 1618 ... and in the civil wars fortified his house at Houndhill for the king, and kept forty soldiers in arms to defend it. During the civil wars an attack was made upon Houndhill (probably in 1643) by Sir Thomas Fairfax and a detachment of Parliamentarian troops ...."
Part of the walls and turrets still remain. (2)

[SE 33750413] The remains of this Tower are in quite good condition, being about 6ft in height.
It appears to have been preserved at some recent date. (3)

The house is in good condition - see AO/60/123/6 and 60/125/1.
Of the towers, the south-easterly one has been reduced to a height
of 2.0 m.; the north-westerly one is in good condition - see
AO/60/123/7 and 8.
The published name was confirmed by Mr. Elmhirst, the tenant. (4)

Condition unchanged. (5)

II* Hound Hill house
II* Tower in garden of Hound Hill house.

The earlier part of house is timber framed, post and pan is C16/17.
Ground floor is of stone with 6-light stone mullion and transom
windows. The remainder is stone built, stone roof, 2 storeys. Stone
mullion windows and some early C19 sash windows. Well restored.
Detached in garden is a round stone tower. (6)

Excavation of weavers workshop, documentary evidence indicates that this site may have been used in the mid-16th century, though the archaeological remains are of the 18th century, when weaving was re-established on the site. (7)

Houndhill (formerly listed as Hound Hill House). Manor house. Wing dated 1566, otherwise of two 17th century builds, extensively renovated in 1934. Timber framed wing, otherwise ashlar sandstone, stone slate roof, H plan. Grade 2*.
Tower and roadside wall to west of Houndhill farmhouse (part of item formerly listed as a Tower in garden of Hound Hill House). Boundary wall with tower, c.1640-44 for Richard Elmhirst. Part of civil war fortification. Grade 2. (8)

Architectural description. (9)

Additional reference. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1929-48.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Wilkinson, J, 1872. History of Worsborough (pp 128-29 131 & 146 illus opp p 129 & 146)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : S.S. 6" (Reviser 18.1.51).
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RE 01-APR-60
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RWE 07-OCT-64
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Prov List) Worsborough U.D, Yorks W.R, Feb 1963 2
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Post Medieval Archaeol 13 1979 227-238 (D Ashurst)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (Listed Buildings) Borough of Barnsley, S Yorks, 4-Dec-1986 55-56
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Archaeol J 137 1980 442-4 (S Jones)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ryder, P F, 1979. Timber Framed Buildings in South Yorkshire, S Yorks County Archaeol Monograph No.1 (101)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Weavers Workshop, Manor House, Wool Warehouse
Evidence : Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1934
Monument Start Date : 1934
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 38017
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 30 SW 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, UNKNOWN
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 30 SW 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1960-04-01
End Date : 1960-04-01
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 30 SW 6
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1964-10-07
End Date : 1964-10-07