HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Whittingham Tower

Hob Uid: 5299
Location :
Northumberland
Whittingham
Grid Ref : NU0692011880
Summary : Tower house of the late 13th/early 14th century, altered after 1603 and converted into almshouses in 1845. The birthplace, in 1745, of Henry Ogle, the inventor of the threshing machine.
More information : [NU 06921188] Tower [GT] (1)

It is doubtful whether any part of the existing tower was standing in 1317, when the "pila" of Whittingham was held by Robert Purvays. More probably the present building is that referred to in a list of 1460 (2) (some authorities give this date as 1415) as belonging to William Heron, but was uninhabited, while in 1541 it belonged to Robert collingwood and was in good repair. (3)

After the Union of the Crowns the tower had its flat roof and
crenellated parapet replaced by twin roofs and a pair of gables and so remained until 1845 when Lady Ravensworth had it converted into almshouses, completely altering its appearance so that the only original external feature visible is the entrance door on the south side. The tower measures externally 42 feet
E-W and 36 feet N-S, and a present height of 40 feet. The ground floor is vaulted, measuring internally 25 feet x 19 feet. There are
traces of a mural stair in the east wall, a passage to the stair
having led from the vestibule inside the front entrance. (2-4)

Description correct. The walling of the lower 2 floors is
original, but the upper floor and all architectural features except
the south door are modern There is a plinth course visible on the north and east wall. In good condition; the building is still in use as an almshouse. (5)

Conditions unchanged but now unoccupied. (6)

Whittingham Tower. Tower house of the late 13th/early 14th century, altered after 1603 and converted into almshouses in 1845. The birthplace, in 1745, of Henry Ogle, the inventor of the threshing machine. Listed Grade II*. (7)

Listed by Cathcart King and Dodds. (8,9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1926
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Northumberland 1 Part III 1820 28 (J Hodgson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History of Northumberland 2 Part III 1828 210 (J Hodgson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Northumberland County History
Source details : NCH 14 1935 503-4 illus (Ed M Hope Dodds)
Page(s) : 503-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 14
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 EG 03-FEB-54
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 DS 18-FEB-70
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Alnwick, 03-SEP-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 344
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 157-9
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C13/early C14
Monument End Date : 1332
Monument Start Date : 1267
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered after 1603
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1603
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted in 1845
Monument End Date : 1845
Monument Start Date : 1845
Monument Type : Almshouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 236208
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NU 01 SE 22
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NU 01 SE 22
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1954-02-03
End Date : 1954-02-03
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NU 01 SE 22
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1970-02-18
End Date : 1970-02-18