HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Harewood Castle

Hob Uid: 53091
Location :
Leeds
Harewood
Grid Ref : SE3218045640
Summary : Ruins of a mid 14th century tower house in Harewood Park. It is rectangular in plan with four angle towers and contained the great hall with the solar situated above. In the hall are the remains of a great fireplace and a richly decorated recess, probably used as a sideboard or buffet for the display of plate. Entry was via the north west tower, with the chapel situated over the portcullis chamber. The kitchen wing to the west of the tower house had a barrel-vaulted basement, a kitchen above at the level of the hall and two upper floors which would have been used as dormitories for the servants. Traces of an Elizabethan bowling green survive to the east of the house.
More information : SE321 84564. Harewood Castle. [LB] (Remains of). Bowling Green. [LB].
Castle Well. [LB] (1)

Harewood Castle was rebuilt by Sir William Aldburgh and licensed in 1367 (2). Evidence for an earlier building is suggested by family histories recorded by Camden, but there are no extant remains earlier than the 14th century (3). It is possible that the family seat was moved to Harewood from Rougemont [SE 24 NE/1] as a consequence of the Black Death. The bowling green to the east is probably an Elizabethan addition. The building became ruinous between 1637 and 1656 (4). (2-4)

The remains of Harewood Castle are as shown by round photographs. (5)

SE 322 456. Harewood Castle. Scheduled. (6)

Harewood Castle. Detailed survey in progress. Consultants - West Yorkshire Archaeological Unit. (7)

Harewood Castle is as described and planned. Bowling Green (SE 32224561) as planned but now covered by deciduous plantation. Castle Well (SE 32026 45477), the area marked by the circle symbol is full of vegetation and debris and no actual stonework was evident but the well is most probably still extant beneath the debris. (8)

SE 3218 4564. Harewood Castle. The ruins of this fortified house overlook the Wharfe Valley from the slopes below Harewood Village; they stand within the park wall of the later Harewood House.

The manor of Harewood came into the possession of the family of L'Isle, whose principal holdings were in Bedfordshire, in 1293, and in 1364 it was alienated by Robert de L'Isle to Sir William de Aldeborough. In 1366 de Aldeborough obtained a licence to crenellate his house at Harewood; prior to this the head of manor had probably been at Rougemont, the site of which is still discernible on the north bank of the river between Weeton and Dunkeswick.

The house which de Aldeborough built was a small, rectangular tower-house, a typical pele, with a kitchen wing attached to the west. The shell is still reasonably intact.

The house proper has four angle-towers and contained the great hall on the ground floor and the solar above; the hall has the remains of a great fireplace in the east hall and a richly decorated recess, probably used as a sideboard, in the south wall. There is newel stair in the south-east angle tower. The entrance is through the ground floor of the north-west tower and led originally into the screens dividing the hall from the kitchens; it was provided with a
portcullis. The second floor of this tower, above the portcullis chamber, has a three-light, traceried window and is richly decorated with the arms of Aldeborough, Baliol, Constable, Vipont and Thweng; it was probably the oratory.

The kitchen wing to the west of the tower-house had a barrel-vaulted basement, a kitchen above at the level of the hall and two upper floors which would be used as dormitories for the servants.

The whole house is an excellent example of the smaller type of country house of the period; built essentially for comfort and convenience it was yet capable of resisting attack by casual
marauders. Its neat, compact plan was its principal defensive attribute. (9)

Scheduled. (10)

Listed Grade I. (12)

Listed by Cathcart King. (13)

Short note following a survey by EDAS in 2007. (14)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" map, 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Yorkshire : the West Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 244-45
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAMs List West Yorkshire 31-DEC-1987 7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : West Yorkshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 45
Source Number : 12
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Leeds, 22-JUL-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 517
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 14
Source : The Castle Studies Group Journal
Source details :
Page(s) : 167-171
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 21, 2007-8
Source Number : 3
Source : Journal of the British Archaeological Association
Source details :
Page(s) : 220-227
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 20, 1864
Source Number : 3a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Camden's Britannia, Gough's edition, vol 3, p 7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details : (S D Kitson)
Page(s) : 176-79
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 22, 1913
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ECW 02-MAR-1961
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DOE (IAM), AMs of England, vol 1, p 75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Council for British Archaeology Group 4 Yorkshire Archaeological Register
Source details : (S Moorhouse)
Page(s) : 14
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : -1985
Source Number : 8
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 ISS 28-NOV-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Yorkshire's ruined castles : an account of their history, asssociations and architecture with a chapter on the fortified houses of the county
Source details :
Page(s) : 139-40
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Mid C14
Monument End Date : 1366
Monument Start Date : 1333
Monument Type : Tower House, Service Wing, Kitchen, Great Hall, Buttery, Cellar, Chapel
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Elizabethan
Monument End Date : 1603
Monument Start Date : 1558
Monument Type : Bowling Green
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : WY 127
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 94487
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 423419
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 34 NW 10
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1068665
Relationship type : Is referred to by

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, UNKNOWN
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 34 NW 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1961-03-02
End Date : 1961-03-02
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 34 NW 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1986-11-28
End Date : 1986-11-28
Associated Activities : Primary, HAREWOOD CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1989-01-01
End Date : 1989-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HAREWOOD CASTLE
Activity type : MANAGEMENT SURVEY
Start Date : 2000-01-01
End Date : 2001-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, HAREWOOD CASTLE
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 2004-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31