HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Ribston Hall

Hob Uid: 53397
Location :
North Yorkshire
Harrogate
Great Ribston with Walshford
Grid Ref : SE3918053780
Summary : Knights Templars preceptory founded 1217 surrendered 1308-12 and granted to Knights Hospitallers, it was dissolved in 1529. The country house was constructed on the site in 1674 and has early 18th and 19th century additions, and partly demolished circa 1980. It is a two storey building constructed of brick and ashlar dressings. The adjoining chapel is 13th century in date with restorations of 1700 and 19th century. It is constructed of limestone and sandstone rubble.
More information : [SE 3918 5378] ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH [G.T.] RIBSTON HALL [G.T.]
(Originally a Preceptory of Knights Templars) [T.I.]
[SE 3980 5393] TILTING GROUND [G.T.] (1)

A Preceptory of Knights Templars, founded at Ribston about
1217, was seized c. 1308-12 and handed to the Knights Hospitallers,
but remained a preceptory.

By the 16th century it had ceased to be a residence, was leased
to lay farmers, and after the Dissolution passed to the Goodricke
family. The present house is dated 1674, but the attached chapel
of St. Andrew contains two 13th century doorways. (2-5)

Ribston Hall and chapel are in good condition. See G.Ps
AO 62/238/1, AO/62/238/2 and AO/62/238/3 for east and south
aspects of the Hall, and the south west aspects of the Chapel
respectively.
The pasture field, known as the Tilting Ground, is bordered
on the west side by a well defined, dry fish pond, the remains
of which are correctly shown on O.S. 25" 1932. (6)


8.3.52
5/29 Ribston Hall
Grade II*
Large country house. 1674 and early C18. Built for the Goodricke
family. Red brick, Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, Westmorland
slate roof. 2 storeys, 15 bays. C17 south front: rusticated
quoins. Central panelled double doors have flanking Corinthian
columns and open segmental scrolled pediment. Flanking 4-pane sash
windows in architraves with floating cornices. 1st floor has
15-pane sash windows with architraves. Decorated panel below
central window. Pairs of short ashlar pilasters below windows.
Oversailing eaves with modillion cornice. Hipped roof,
probably M-shaped. 2 stacks on ridge above bays 5 and 11.
Further stacks on parallel ridge to rear, and on ridges of
side wings. C18 rear elevation has central doorway with Tuscan
columns supporting triangular pediment. All windows are 15-pane
sashes in recessed frames. The 2 outer bays break forward as
side wings. Left return: newly-pointed wall with round-headed
staircase window. Right return has chapel (q.v.) attached. A
lower, 7-bay range of C18 and C19 date, attached to the left
(west) end of the house, was demolished c1980. Interior: the
central 5 bays of the south side of the house contain the saloon,
with mid C18 plasterwork, a ceiling renewed c1790-1800 and
redecorated 1846 by C. Moxon of London, to whom the existing
colours are due. The plasterwork contains many classical motifs
including laurel wreaths, urns, trophies and eagles. Wall panels
contain copies of Italian paintings. Elaboraate end fireplaces,
main door in round-headed arch; doorway to north entrance hall has
flanking Corinthian columns and triangular pediment. Other rooms
on south side of house include: (west end) small room with
panelling and C17 carved wood overmantle with fruit and flowers.
At the east end: a library with access to chapel (q.v.) On
the north side of the house - a fine Adam-style dining room with
columns and fine plasterwork and carved wood. In process of
redecoration.

5/30 Chapel of St. Andrew,
15.3.66 Ribston Hall
Grade II*
Chapel of St. Andrew, attached to south-east end of Ribston Hall.
C13 with restorations 1700 and C19. Early work probably by the
Knights Templars, later alteration and restoration by Sir Harry
Goodricke and the Dent family. Limestone and sandstone coursed
rubble, saandstone quoins. Flat roof. Nave and chancel in one
range of 4 bays. Repositioned doorway, chamfered, with hood-moulds
and head-stops in 2-storey lean-to porch at east end of south
wall. A second similar (blocked) doorway towards west end of
this wall. Between the doors: a 2-light window with Reticulated
tracery and square hood-mould, flanked by gabled buttresses.
East and west windows inserted 1820 and 1852, each of 3 lights.
Battlemented parapet at east end, with stair turret built into
corner between the chapel and the Hall. Bulbous finial on
south-east corner. Parapet at west end pierced with quatrefoils
and bearing 2 finials. West wall also has 3 square recesses, one
with a much weathered coat of arms. Interior: entrance into the
chapel from the hall is at the west end of the north wall. Altar
end and reredos have early C18 panelling with scrolls and
foiliage in high relief. Memorials include one on south wall
to Sir Harry Goodricke who 'restored and embellished' the chapel
in 1700. Another (1652) to Richard Goodricke. Font with stem and
wide spiral-fluted bowl of c1700. The west window has painted glass
which is probably a copy of the New College window by Reynolds.
The west window is signed by Willement 1852. H. Speight refers
to a commission signed to dedicate and consecrate a new chapel at
Ribston in 1444 (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 6" 1956.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 258-9, 262
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 237, 245
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Wood E S. 1946. Ancient Buildings of Harrogate, 12
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Yorkshire : the West Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 399-400
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RL 23-OCT-1962
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Borough of Harrogate, North Yorkshire. September 1985, 18-20
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : North Yorkshire (May 1987)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 32

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C13 construction
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded about 1217; suppressed 1312
Monument End Date : 1312
Monument Start Date : 1217
Monument Type : Templars Preceptory
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1312-1529
Monument End Date : 1529
Monument Start Date : 1312
Monument Type : Hospitallers Preceptory
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1674
Monument End Date : 1674
Monument Start Date : 1674
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Restored in 1700
Monument End Date : 1700
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Early C18 additions
Monument End Date : 1732
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19 restoration
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19 additions
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Partly demolished c1980
Monument End Date : 1985
Monument Start Date : 1975
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 330604
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 330603
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 35 SE 13
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 1068814
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 35 SE 13
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-10-23
End Date : 1962-10-23