HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Clements Priory

Hob Uid: 534869
Location :
York
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SE6030051080
Summary : Benedictine nunnery founded 1125-33 dissolved 1536. Still ruinous until late 19th century. Excavation revealed medieval cemetery and fragmentary structures. Precinct wall circuit only known from cartography.
More information : (SE 6032 5107) Remains of St Clement's Church (united with St Mary's AD 1585) and site of the Nunnery of St Clement (Benedictine) Founded AD 1145.
(SE 6025 3110 - SE 6028 5110) Stone Walls.
(SE 6033 5110 - SE 6039 5110) Remains of the Nunnery Wall. (1)

The priory of St Clement was founded between 1125 and 1133 by Archbishop Thurstan and was suppressed in 1536. (2-3). Excavations in 1976-77 by the York Archaeological Trust revealed fragmentary structures and some 250 medieval burials. Exact identification of the features proved difficult because of massive disturbance in post-medieval times but the relative position of the burials suggest that they lay within the nunnery church itself. It therefore seems probable that the church lay to the north of where it is located on 19th century maps. Study of the 17th and early 19th century drawings of the priory suggest that the structures depicted were part of the south claustral range and not those of the nunnery church.
It was possible to delineate the approximate extent of the precinct of the priory from cartographic evidence. The single frament of presumed precinct wall (RCHM) was examined in detail before excavation and was found to stand on footings containing post-medieval brickwork; the location and the alignment were completely at odds with the cartographic evidence. (2) RCHM reference. (4). (For Roman remains seen in the same excavations see SE 65 SW 53).

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : Ordnance Survey 1:1056 Scale Map - York 15 1852
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Dobson R B & Donaghey S. 1984. `The History of Clementhorpe Nunnery' - The Archaeology of York Volume 2 - Historical Sources for York Archaeology after AD 1100. Fascicule 1. (ed P V Addyman) Plans. Drawings.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 269
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in the City of York. Volume III: south-west of the Ouse
Source details :
Page(s) : 48
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded 1125-33
Monument End Date : 1133
Monument Start Date : 1125
Monument Type : Benedictine Nunnery, Priory, Church, Cemetery, Precinct Wall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved 1536
Monument End Date : 1536
Monument Start Date : 1536
Monument Type : Benedictine Nunnery, Priory, Church, Cemetery, Precinct Wall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 60205
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 65 SW 287
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, CLEMENTHORPE/CHERRY STREET
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CLEMENTHORPE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1978-12-31