HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Franciscan Friary

Hob Uid: 534934
Location :
York
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SE6039851401
Summary : Probably founded in 1230 in an unknown location in the city. They were granted timber for building in 1236 and 1237. They were granted a site between the castle and the River Ouse, within the city wall, circa 1243. They acquired more land, eventually extending the site over the castle ditch and outer bailey. From the reign of Edward I onwards, the Greyfriars was a fashionable Northern location for the Royal court, the royal entourage often establishing itself there. Little is known of the conventual buildings, but the church was built immediately within the main gateway of the precinct..A short section of the precinct wall survives. Excavations have located part of the friary cemetery.
More information :

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 229
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Archaeological papers from York presented to M.W. Barley
Source details : Dobson B
Page(s) : 109-121
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Original site
Monument End Date : 1243
Monument Start Date : 1230
Monument Type : Franciscan Friary
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant on this site
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1243
Monument Type : Franciscan Friary, Cemetery, Precinct Wall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit, Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 60253
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 464729
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 464730
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 464733
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 65 SW 349
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, 1-2 TOWER STREET, (CASTLE GARAGE)
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1981-01-01
End Date : 1983-12-31