HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monk Bar

Hob Uid: 536761
Location :
York
York
York
Grid Ref : SE6055552245
Summary : Four storeyed town gate with circular bartizans at the north and east angles, and dates from the early 14th century, the uppermost storey being added in the late 15th century. It was built to a sophisticated design with each floor defensible. From 1577 it was used as a prison. The barbican was removed in 1815-25. It retains a portcullis which is in working order..
More information : Monk Bar: 4 storeys. Round carriage arch 2 plain orders recessed beneath giant 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from 2-storey projecting pilaster buttresses with moulded and weathered bases. First floor of buttresses pierced by shouldered doorways to original barbican: above carriage arch, 2 tiers of cruciform arrow slits. Buttresses rise into corbelled-out 3-stage embattled bartizans joined at second stage by gallery with embattled parapet, at third stage by plain parapet. Bartizans have cruciform arrow slits to each stage, also to second stage, behind gallery, over square gunports. Heraldry includes 2 painted and carved shields of the Arms of City of York and shield of the Royal Arms of England beneath crowned helm with crest, all beneath canopies. Both bartizans topped by 3 carved figures of wildmen holding boulders. Inner side has giant segmental chamfered arch over recessed carriageway arch with pointed arched staircase door at left. Above carriage arch is corbelled gallery beneath low round-headed doorway, central window of 2 tiers of 3 round-headed lights and 1-light window to left, in chamfered surrounds. Second floor has square-headed window of 3 trefoiled lights in centre, niches with cinquefoiled heads at each end. Third floor has square-headed window of paired shouldered lights at each side of shallow trefoil-headed niche in round-headed moulded surround.

INTERIOR: staircases to all floors contained in wall thickness. All upper floors are stone-flagged and roofs to ground, first and second floors are vaulted with chamfered stone ribs. Garderobes and fireplaces survive on first and second floors. On first floor, raised portcullis is visible: on second floor, wooden windlass for portcullis survives. (1)

History and full architectural description, elevations and plans. The barbican projected 44 fet i front of the gatehouse, wa 27 feet wide and 17 feet high, the walls being 5-6 feet thick. It was entered through a round-headed archway. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : City of York, 14-Mar-1997
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : An inventory of the historical monuments in the City of York. Volume II: the defences
Source details :
Page(s) : 125-32
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C14
Monument End Date : 1335
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Town Gate, Barbican
Evidence : Extant Building, Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Heightened late C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1466
Monument Type : Town Gate, Portcullis, Artillery Tower
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Used as a gaol
Monument End Date : 1577
Monument Start Date : 1577
Monument Type : Town Gate, Gaol
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Gates renewed 1707
Monument End Date : 1707
Monument Start Date : 1707
Monument Type : Town Gate
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Barbican removed 1815-25
Monument End Date : 1825
Monument Start Date : 1815
Monument Type : Barbican
Evidence : Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Restored 1913
Monument End Date : 1913
Monument Start Date : 1913
Monument Type : Town Gate
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1953
Monument Start Date : 1952
Monument Type : Town Gate
Evidence :

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 61947
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 463053
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 65 SW 622
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 536744
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536748
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536754
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536743
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536755
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536756
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536757
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536758
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536759
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536741
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536745
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536746
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536747
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536749
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536750
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536751
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536752
Relationship type : Is referred to by
Associated Monuments : 536753
Relationship type : Is referred to by

Related Activities :