HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 53870

Hob Uid: 53870
Location :
North Yorkshire
Hambleton
Swainby with Allerthorpe
Grid Ref : SE3363485602
Summary : A Premonstratensian Abbey was founded at Swainby in 1187, but was removed to Coverham between 1212-14. It is thought that the land was retained by the abbey and used as a monastic grange. An area north east of Swainby Grove has been identified as the site of the abbey buildings. The site is represented by a complex of earthworks which lie over a 100 metres north of the area marked as the site of the abbey on the 1:10 000 OS map. The remains include building platforms, possibly representing the site of the church, the cloistral range and a watermill, and a dam, fishponds and embanked leats which formed part of a water management system. Some of these earthworks are visible on air photos.
More information : The abbey of St Mary of Charity for Premonstratensian Canons was first founded in or before 1187 at Swainby, by Helewisia, daughter of Ranulfde Glanville (justicar of England), and it was translated to Coverham (see SE 18 NW 6) between 1196 and 1202. (A site east of Swainby Grove- SE 335855 - see SE 38 NW 2 and the earthworks near Allerthorpe - SE334867 - see SE 38 NW 3 have each been associated with the abbey site, but there is no substantial evidence available to accept either of these sites). (1 - 3)

A Premonstratensian Abbey was founded at Swainby in 1187, but was removed to Coverham between 1212-14. It is thought that the land was retained by the abbey and used as a monastic grange. An area north east of Swainby Grove has been identified as the site of the abbey buildings. The site is represented by a complex of earthworks which lie over a 100 metres north of the area marked as the site of the abbey on the 1:10 000 OS map. The remains include building platforms, possibly representing the site of the church, the cloistral range and a watermill, and a dam, fishponds and embanked leats which formed part of a water management system. Scheduled. (4)

Some of these earthworks are visible on air photos but cannot be directly correlated with the features discussed above so no attempt has been made to index the monument types from this survey. However most features appear to be of medieval date. A broad hollow way runs south to north from SE3363 8560 to SE3360 8577, where it appears to join the trackway described in UID 53847. Between the hollow way and Healam Beck there are possible fishponds at SE3366 8549 and a group of sub-circular mounds or platforms around SE3369 8573. West of the hollow way there are small fields of ridge and furrow at SE3360 8551. At SE3360 8561 there is an arrangement of substantial rectilinear hollows and banks, these have previously been interpreted as either fishponds or the robber trenches of a substantial structure. To the north of these are a series of tofts that may be a continuation of the settlement discussed in UID 53847. The most northerly of these is a more substantial ditched enclosure (SE3361 8574) with a large platform at its north-eastern corner. Some of these earthworks are cut or overlain by later features such as a short causeway at SE3369 8569 and a possible footpath at SE3356 8563. (5-8)

The western edge of these earthworks is bounded by a field boundary or trackway that runs parallel to the hollow way.

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 243
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 185,187
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York, North Riding, volume one
Source details :
Page(s) : 219,378
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling amendment, 22-DEC-2003
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SE 3385/24 NMR 17301/06 08-JUL-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : ULM AQP20 14-JAN-1967
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR SE 3385/27 NMR17301/09 08-JUL-1999
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Oblique aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NYCC AJC101/38 28-FEB-1987
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant 1187-1214
Monument End Date : 1214
Monument Start Date : 1187
Monument Type : Premonstratensian Monastery, Building Platform, Leat, Pond, Embankment, Church, Cloister, Watermill
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Earthwork, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Post 1214
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1214
Monument Type : Premonstratensian Grange, Building Platform, Fishpond, Leat, Embankment, Dam
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence, Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : MNY20293
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 34730
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 38 NW 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 50885
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 53847
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1509333
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :