HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lazenby Grange

Hob Uid: 53955
Location :
North Yorkshire
Hambleton
Danby Wiske with Lazenby
Grid Ref : SE3494099090
Summary : A secular college or collegiate chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also referred to as a hospital, was founded at Lazenby in 1290 for a master and 6 chaplains. This may have been a chantry of St Mary founded in the chapel of St John the Baptist for a master and 5 chaplains. The endowment had become insufficient by 1443 or 1444 when it was assigned as merely a chantry chapel to Jervaux Abbey, which was to provide 2 chaplains. Rechristened a 'grange', it was rebuilt and retained under a lay keeper as demesne property until the expulsion of the monks in 1537/44. In 1544 it is recorded as being leased to Matthew Earl of Lennox, and thereafter to various people until 1646.
More information : (SE 34949909) Lazenby Grange (NAT). (1)

A secular college or collegiate chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also referred to as a hospital, was founded at Lazenby in 1290 for a master and 6 chaplains. Authority 3 describes it as a chantry of St Mary founded in the chapel of St John the Baptist for a master and 5 chaplains. The endowment had become insufficient by 1443 or 1444 when it was assigned as merely a chantry chapel to Jervaux Abbey, who were to provide 2 chaplains. Rechristened a 'grange' it was rebuilt and retained under a lay keeper as demesne property until the expulsion of the monks in 1537 (Knowles and Hadcock also give the possible date of 1544). In 1544 it is recorded as being leased to Matthew Earl of Lennox, and thereafter to various people until 1646. (2-5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : OS 1:10000 1977
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Yorks 3 1913 363-4 (J Solloway)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : VCH Yorks NR 1 1914 424-5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : The Mon Grange in Md Eng 1969 46 151-2 (C Platt)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Md Relig Houses 1971 129 130 415 428 (D Knowles & R N Hadcock)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1443
Monument Start Date : 1290
Monument Type : College Of Secular Priests, Collegiate Church, Hospital
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : From 1443
Monument End Date : 1443
Monument Start Date : 1443
Monument Type : Chantry Chapel
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C15-early C16
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1467
Monument Type : Cistercian Grange
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 39 NW 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 50837
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :