HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Brampton Park Officers Mess

Hob Uid: 542521
Location :
Cambridgeshire
Huntingdonshire
Brampton
Grid Ref : TL2080870239
Summary : Brampton Park Officers' Mess is a former country house, then used by RAF Support Command at RAF Brampton. Brampton Park dates back to the 12th century and the house, known as the Grange, was built in 1821-22 to designs by Thomas Stedman Whitewell. It was altered in 1825 by John Buonarotti Papworth. The main part of the house burned down in 1907 and was rebuilt and extended on the east side in red brick to form a symmetrical design. The south facade is constructed from yellow brick and the roof is tiled. The north front of the house incorporates one of the surviving 19th Century wings as its west end and the 19th Century Pump Room survives on the first floor of the north-west wing. During the First World War, the house was used to house German prisoners. At the beginning of the Second World War it was used as the 'Sun Babies Nursery', to house about 100 infants evacuated from North London. In 1942 the house was taken over by the United States Army Corps (HQ 1st Air Division) until 1945-6. In late Spring 1945, Headquarters Technical Training Command moved to Brampton from Shinfield Park. The Grange became the headquarters and the personnel were billeted in the Park. The house was used as the headquarters of various RAF Command and Group Headquarters from 1955 onwards (see Record 1550941). In 1982 the upper floor of the building was damaged in a fire and in 1987 a refurbishment programme was carried out on the house, completed in 1988. In 2012 RAF Brampton was put for disposal by the Ministry of Defence.
More information : Listed Building. For the designated record of RAF BRAMPTON NUMBER 1 OFFICERS MESS please see The National Heritage List for England. (1-2)

Listed Building. For the designated record of RAF BRAMPTON FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES AT NUMBER 1 OFFICERS MESS see The National Heritage List for England. (3-4)

Brampton Park can be traced back to the 12th Century. The house was built in 1821-22 to designs by Thomas Stedman Whitewell and was altered in 1825 by John Buonarotti Papworth. In 1907 the eastern half of the building was gutted by a fire which lasted 3 days and only a third of the original building survived. During the first World War, the manor was used to house German prisoners. At the beginning of the Second World War the house was used as the 'Sun Babies Nursery', to house about 100 infants evacuated from North London. In the Spring of 1942 the house was taken over by the United States Army Corps (HQ 1st Air Division). These left in 1945-6 in late Spring of 1945, Headquarters Technical Training Command moved to Brampton from Shinfield Park. The main Grange became the Headquarters and the personnel were billeted in the Park. The house was used as the headquarters of various RAF Command and Group Headquarters from 1955 (see Record 1550941).
In 1982 the upper floor of the building was damaged in a fire and in 1987 a refurbishment programme was carried out on the house, completed in 1988.
The North front includes a surviving 19th Century wing as its west end and the19th Century Pump Room survives on the first floor of the north-west wing. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Huntingdonshire, 19-May-1975
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 49
Source Number : 2
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : English Heritage. 2012. The National Heritage List for England, [Accessed 16-FEB-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Huntingdonshire, 19-May-1975
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : English Heritage. 2012. The National Heritage List for England, [Accessed 16-FEB-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : RAF. 2012. The History of Brampton Park Officers' Mess, [Accessed 16-Feb-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1821-22
Monument End Date : 1822
Monument Start Date : 1821
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered in 1825
Monument End Date : 1825
Monument Start Date : 1825
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Early 20th Century
Display Date : Destroyed and rebuilt 1907
Monument End Date : 1907
Monument Start Date : 1907
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : First World War
Display Date : Change in function First World War
Monument End Date : 1918
Monument Start Date : 1914
Monument Type : Prisoner Of War Camp
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Change in function 1955
Monument End Date : 1955
Monument Start Date : 1955
Monument Type : Military Headquarters, Officers Mess
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Change in function 1939-42
Monument End Date : 1942
Monument Start Date : 1939
Monument Type : Evacuee Centre
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Second World War
Display Date : Change in function 1942-5
Monument End Date : 1945
Monument Start Date : 1942
Monument Type : Military Headquarters
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Late 20th Century
Display Date : Refurbished 1987-8
Monument End Date : 1988
Monument Start Date : 1987
Monument Type : Officers Mess, Military Headquarters
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 21st Century
Display Date : Closed 2012
Monument End Date : 2012
Monument Start Date : 2012
Monument Type : Military Headquarters, Officers Mess
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 83267
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 54530
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1130219
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 54531
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1317555
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TL 27 SW 145
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :