HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hazlewood Castle

Hob Uid: 54579
Location :
North Yorkshire
Selby
Stutton With Hazlewood
Grid Ref : SE4492039790
Summary : Remains of a castle or fortified house, built in the late 13th century and incorporated into an 18th century country house now used as a Carmelite monastery. The medieval building was granted a licence to crenellate in 1290 while the detached chapel to the east was licenced in 1286. The small, square tower was added in the 15th century. The fortified house was converted circa 1760-70 and further altered during the early to mid 20th century. It passed into the possession of the Carmelite order in 1972 and was internally altered circa 1976-80. The building is roughly H-shaped in plan, constructed of limestone with a Welsh slate roof and some crenellations. The chapel was built circa 1283-5 with later additions including the bellcote, which is dated 1680. The interior was refurbished in the mid 18th century, probably by John Carr. The plan comprises a nave, chancel, south porch, vestry and west bellcote. The chapel contains a number of monuments to the Vavasour family, including two early 14th century effigies.
More information : [SE 44903979] Hazelwood Castle [G.T.]
[SE 44923979] St. Leonard's Chapel [G.T.]. (1)

Licence to crenellate Hazelwood Castle was granted in 1290. Little remains of the mediaeval structure apart from a few surviving remains of windows in the entrance hall, formerly the castle Hall, and other internal features. From the south, the house presents a castellated Georgian design. A private chapel was founded in 1286, and is the only part of the castle complete in its mediaeval form. (2)

Hazelwood Castle is correctly described by authy. 2. St. Leonard's Chapel is still in periodic use for religious services. See GP AO/62/89/7 for south eastern aspect of the house, and AO/62/89/8 for north eastern aspect of chapel and house. (3)

The north front of the house and part of the chapel are now being restored. Elsewhere, the condition is unchanged.
Situated at SE 44923978 (published in G.T. on O.S. 25 in.) is a complete churchyard cross, having a possible original Md. base, but restored shaft and head.
See G.P. AO/63/188/6 for cross. (4)

SE 448399. Hazelwood, the residence of the Vavasour family, appears to have had moats, type unclassified, now only ornamental water. The Roman Catholic Chapel of St. Leonard and Hazelwood Castle are both listed as Grade 1 buildings. (5-6)

Listed by Cathcart King. (7)

Remains of a castle or fortified house, built in the late 13th century and incorporated into an 18th century country house now used as a Carmelite monastery. The medieval building was granted a licence to crenellate in 1290 while the detached chapel to the east was licenced in 1286. The small, square tower was added in the 15th century. The fortified house was converted circa 1760-70 and further altered during the early to mid 20th century. It passed into the possession of the Carmelite order in 1972 and was internally altered circa 1976-80. The building is roughly H-shaped in plan, constructed of limestone with a Welsh slate roof and some crenellations. The chapel was built circa 1283-5 with later additions including the bellcote, which is dated 1680. The interior was refurbished in the mid 18th century, probably by John Carr. The plan comprises a nave, chancel, south porch, vestry and west bellcote. The chapel contains a number of monuments to the Vavasour family, including two early 14th century effigies. (8-10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25", 1908.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Yorkshire : the West Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 256-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1959
Source Number : 10
Source : Greater medieval houses of England and Wales 1300-1500, volume 1 : northern England
Source details :
Page(s) : 345-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RWE 12-APR-62
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RL 28-OCT-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1908
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The moated sites of Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 126
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : NO.5 - 1973
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Tadcaster RD Yorks WR May 1960 30-1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 518
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Feb-83
Source Number : 8
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Selby, 09-APR-1987
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : English castles : a guide by counties
Source details :
Page(s) : 304
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C13
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1267
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified House, Great Hall, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1283-5
Monument End Date : 1285
Monument Start Date : 1283
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Licensed 1290
Monument End Date : 1290
Monument Start Date : 1290
Monument Type : Fortified House, Castle, Great Hall
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Early C14
Monument End Date : 1332
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Private Chapel, Effigy
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extended C15
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Castle, Fortified House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Converted c1760-70
Monument End Date : 1770
Monument Start Date : 1760
Monument Type : Country House, Roman Catholic Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 1908
Monument End Date : 1908
Monument Start Date : 1908
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 1960-7
Monument End Date : 1967
Monument Start Date : 1960
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 1976-80
Monument End Date : 1980
Monument Start Date : 1976
Monument Type : Carmelite Friary
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 95555
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 326436
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 326442
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 43 NW 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : SURVEY BY SYDNEY DECIMUS KITSON
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 43 NW 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1962-04-12
End Date : 1962-04-12
Associated Activities : FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 43 NW 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-10-28
End Date : 1963-10-28
Associated Activities : ST LEONARD'S CHAPEL, HAZLEWOOD CASTLE
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1978-12-31
Associated Activities : HAZLEWOOD CASTLE
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : HAZLEWOOD CASTLE, PARADISE LANE, HAZLEWOOD
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 2006-01-01
End Date : 2006-12-31