HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church of St Martin

Hob Uid: 55098
Location :
North Yorkshire
Harrogate
Allerton Mauleverer with Hopperton
Grid Ref : SE4158557955
Summary : Medieval church, possibly 12th century in date, with 15th century additions, rebuilt in c1745. The present building has a 14th century arcade of octagonal piers without capitals with a 17th century hammer-beam roof.
More information : [SE 41585795] St. Martin's Church. [TU] (1)

St. Martin's Church is said to have been rebuilt in 1745, but
incorporates mediaeval work. (2)

In normal use. (3)

St. Martin's Church. Excavation in 1976 showed that, prior to the
rebuilding of c.1745, the chancel was of two periods. The earlier
was apsidal, probably of 12th century date; the latter was probably
of the 15th century. It is suggested that the early 12th century
rebuilding of the church is associated with the foundation of the
priory (SE 45 NW 8) in c.1100 AD (4,5) Grade B (6). (4-6)

SE 45 NW ALLERTON MAULEVERER ALLERTON PARK
WITH HOPPERTON

3/7 Church of St. Martin

15.3.66

GV II*

Church of St. Martin. Rebuilt c1745 for Hon. Richard Arundell.
Ashlar to west front, coursed limestone elsewhere. Stone slates
and currugated sheets to roof. Norman style. Nave of 6 bays with
north and south aisles and transepts. Tower, between nave and
chancel, flanked by stair and former vestry. Chancel of 2 bays.
West front has central plank and stud door with semicircular
overlight in moulded surround. Circular west window in architrave,
above, flanked by round-arched windows with voussoirs. Aisles are
gabled and project slightly with round-headed windows, flanking
pilasters and open pediments. Returns of aisles have 4 round-headed
windows with 2-light windows to transepts. 5-light Perpendicular
style-chancel east window containing some original glass. A
continuous projecting band around the building at sill level. Tower
of 3 stages with round-headed belfry windows with continuous
band over. Shallow pyramidal roof with weather vane. Interior:
original vase-shaped font, 2-decker pulpit with sounding board
over, and panelled box pews. Iron gates to north and south transepts
and to chancel. North transept contains 2 wooden effigies of
cross-legged knights of the late C13 or early C14 and alabaster
effigies of Sir John and Alyson Mauleverer (1475). Also a brass
of Sir John and Eleanor Mauleverer (c1400). South transept has
massive tomb of Mrs. Mary Thornton (d.1800). The chancel is
plainly fitted. See: L. Butler, Guide to St. Martins, Allerton
Mauleverer, Redundant Churches Fund, London, 1980.
H. Speight, Nidderdale, London, 1894, p200. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Yorkshire : the West Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 78
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RL 12-JUN-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details :
Page(s) : 232
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 21 (1977)
Source Number : 5
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details :
Page(s) : 8
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 49 (1977)
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Nidderdale RD September 1962 1
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Borough of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, Sept 1985, 6.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : North Yorkshire (Amendment 1993)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 32

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C12 construction
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1100
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14 additions
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C15 additions
Monument End Date : 1499
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C17 additions
Monument End Date : 1699
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Anglican Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Rebuilt c1745
Monument End Date : 1755
Monument Start Date : 1735
Monument Type : Anglican Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 95312
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 330586
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 111682
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 45 NW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 55107
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, SURVEY BY SYDNEY DECIMUS KITSON
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 45 NW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-06-12
End Date : 1963-06-12
Associated Activities : Primary, ST MARTIN'S,ALLERTON MAULEVERER
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31