HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Old Rectory

Hob Uid: 56173
Location :
Doncaster
Norton
Grid Ref : SE5441214054
Summary : Also known as Campsall Vicarage. Possibly a 14th century prebendal house of Norton Priory. It was in the form of a hall and cross-wing, the building was altered c1800. Vicarage, now a private house. It was granted to Wallingwells Benedictine Nunnery in 1481.
More information : (SE 54421406) Vicarage (NAT) (1)

I Campsall Vicarage
C.14, altered c.1800. May have been a community house or prebendary chapel connected with Norton Priory, established 1335. Ashlar, stone slate roof, T plan. 2 storeys and attic, dripmoulds to sash windows with pointed arched glazing bars. Garden front and E front each has pointed arched window, that on E. with good medieval tracery. W. elevation has early chimney breast. Inside are late C18 chimney pieces in drawing room and dining room. On first floor a medieval pointed archway with moulded chamfering, S. room with pointed vaulted ceiling. Roof truss of pointed arches carrying ridge beam. (2)

SE 544 140 Campsall Old Rectory.
This house, probably of early fifteenth-century date, was examined and recorded by P F Ryder of SYCAS and S R Jones of Sheffield City Polytechnic. The building is constructed of magnesian limestone ashlar, and consists of a north-south block containing a first-floor hall - the doorway of which survives, formerly reached by an external stair - with a cross-wing at its north end. At the east end of the wing is a first-floor chamber traditionally said to have been a chapel, with a fine three-light east window. Both hall and chapel retain their orginal roofs, of an unusual form with collared rafter pairs and principal rafter trusses, which carry both collar and side purlins. The element of security was perhaps a consideration in the construction of a stone first floor hall house at this period and was perhaps prompted by the notorious medieval outlawry of Barnsdale Forest, in which Campsall was situated. (3)

The Old Rectory (formerly Campsall Vicarage) Vicarage now a private house. Built c1400 with c1800 additions. The building is of the form of a 1st floor hall. In 1481 this rectory was granted to the Benedictine Nunnery at Wallingwells, Notts. Grade 1. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1967
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Doncaster Rural District, Yorkshire West Riding Dec-1960, p26
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details : 1982
Page(s) : 179
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 54
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Borough of Doncaster, S Yorks: 23-Mar-1988
Page(s) : 55-56
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1481
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Clergy House, Chapel, Cross Wing House, Hall House
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date :
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1481
Monument Type : Benedictine Grange
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Vicarage
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date :
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 51 SW 29
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :