HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Steeton Hall

Hob Uid: 56492
Location :
North Yorkshire
Selby
Steeton
Grid Ref : SE5337744044
Summary : The remains of the medieval moated site of Seeton Hall and a complex of fishponds. Seeton Hall was a manor house built for Sir Guy Fairfax in circa 1474. By 1558, when there was an inventory made of the property of the late Sir William Fairfax, his hall had a chapel, nine bedrooms, two studies, a hall and a parlour. At the beginning of the 18th century the hall was partly demolished, leaving the range that is still in use as a farmhouse. In 1873, the chapel was also demolished. The hall was sited on a moated island. Most of the eastern circuit of the moat ditch survives as an earthwork feature, with the north eastern part forming a section of a modern drainage system. The southern part of the moat ditch can be seen as a shallow depression with the northern section surviving as a deeper depression to the north of the upstanding part of the hall. The western side of the moat ditch is no longer traceable. In 1533 The Great Stank, a large pond sited along the main street of the former medieval village of Steeton (see SE 54 SW 2), was built under licence from the Crown. It now survives as a mainly dry north-south orientated depression, over 250 metres long and up to 2 metres deep. In the centre, but towards the southern end of the pond, there is a 20 metre diameter island. At the north end of the Great Stank there is another fishpond, now surviving as an infilled feature, which was roughly 40 metres across.
More information : (SE 53314423) Steeton Hall (NR)
(SE 53404424) Moat (NR)
(SE 53314420) Chapel (NR) (site of)
(SE 53354390) Fish Pond (NR) (1)

Fishpond re-surveyed at 1:2500 and published survey of moat revised. (See SE 54 SW 3) Both moat and fishpond are in good condition and well defined. The fishpond 1.5m in depth, is dry but the moat is still partially water-filled. Steeton Hall is a well maintained farmhouse. There are no surface indications of the
chapel. See gound photograph. (2)

Condition unchanged. (3)

A licence to build the private chapel at Steeton Hall was
obtained in 1491. The 'great Stank', a large ornamental pond (at SE 53354390) was constructed in the early 16th century and effectively destroyed the centre of the deserted Medieval village (see SE 54 SW 2).

An impressive set of three or four Medieval fishponds lie upstream from the hall and feed the moats. (Shown at Se 533441 on OS 6" 1906; one being described Fish Pond (NAT). (4)(5)

10/130 II Steeton Hall
Originally built c. 1474 by Sir Guy Fairfax, but rebuilt and added to in the late 16th century by Sir William Fairfax. In the 18th century the mansion was partially demolished and only the centre portion now remains. Ferdinando, Lord Fairfax is said to have slept at the Hall before the battle of Marston Moor. Low 2 storey, in uncoursed stone with 16th century angle buttresses. Pantile roof with stone gutter courses. The 5 north and south windows are irregularly sized and set, and of various dates. Some mullion and transom windows with drips have been recut in the 19th century. One large original window in the south front is blocked. 4 centre arch
doorway with drips. Interior reputed to be altered.

10/131 II Archway in Wall to South of Steeton Hall
Slightly pointed 12th century archway of stone set in the remains of a stone wall running south from the south west corner of the house, and originally forming part of the range of buildings. The archway has been built up in 17th century brick and, flanked by pyramid finials, rises to a pediment under stone capping and stone cross. Reputed to be the entrance to the old chapel. demolished in 1873. (6)

The private chapel was supposedly consecrated by Archbishop Rotherham in 1477 and demolished in 1873; much of the stone being used to build the south side of Bilborough church (SE 54 NW 9). (7)

Steeton Hall. A 13th century doorway in garden wall. (8)

Moated site at Steeton Hall. "SE 533441, unclassified (one corner only extant). In NE corner of large rectangular enclosure which should be earlier than both manor and village, as ridge-and-furrow continues across it S. Line." The footnote refers to "recent air photograph (RCHM, York) shows the underlying
earthwork". (9)

SE 54 SW STEETON STEETON LANE
(east side)
5/82 Steeton Hall Farm
Grade II*
House. c1474 for Sir Guy Fairfax with C16 additions for Sir William Fairfax, partly demolished in C18; later alterations and C20 outshut to rght and porch to rear of no particular interest. Magnesian limestone ashlar with red brick outshut and stacks, pantile and stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 first floor windows. Chamfered plinth, not continuous, and angle buttress with offsets to left. Entrance below sixth window. Panelled door under Tudor arch with moulded jamb and cavetto-moulded hood. 3-light cavetto-moulded mullioned and transomed windows in chamfered and cavetto-moulded surrounds under cavetto-moulded flat hoods except for 1 small chamfered light and an inserted 4-pane sash. First floor: similar 3-light and one 4-light mullioned and transomed windows but without hoods except for two 6-pane sashes inserted into partly blocked similar openings and one 2-pane sash. Swept roof. End and ridge stacks with cogged bands. Further similarly moulded mullioned and transomed windows to rear. Interior has some boxed beams but not fully inspected.

Basically as described but moat now in poor condition. Survey of moat and fishpond revised. (10)

1:2500 Survey revised (see SE 54 SW 2). (11)

The moated site and fish ponds associated with Steeton Hall were mapped from air photographs. Only the north-east corner of the moated site is visible at SE 5340 4424. A large fish pond centred at SE 5336 4390, known as the Great Stank, is approximately 250m long and contains an island mound, approximately 30m in diameter. (12)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1906
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RL 06-MAY-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F3 ISS 18-NOV-1985
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF CPE/UK 1879 1466, 06-DEC-1946
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 13
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 22-Dec-97
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 BHP 03-JAN-75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details : M Beresford
Page(s) : 225, 227
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 38, 1952-5
Source Number : 5
Source : Lost villages of England
Source details :
Page(s) : 59-60
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Tadcaster, MAY-1960
Page(s) : 30
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Lower Wharfedale, being a complete antiquties and scenery of the picturesque valley of the Wharfe from Cawood to Arthington
Source details :
Page(s) : 160-164
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Yorkshire : the West Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 493
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : The moated sites of Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 128
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : no.5
Source Number : 10
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Selby, 12-JUL-1985
Page(s) : 51
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built circa 1474
Monument End Date : 1484
Monument Start Date : 1464
Monument Type : Manor House, Moat
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building, Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C16 additions (by 1558)
Monument End Date : 1558
Monument Start Date : 1500
Monument Type : Manor House, Domestic Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building, Documentary Evidence, Destroyed Monument
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed in 1533
Monument End Date : 1533
Monument Start Date : 1533
Monument Type : Fishpond
Evidence : Earthwork
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished beginning of C18
Monument End Date : 1732
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Manor House
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished in 1873
Monument End Date : 1873
Monument Start Date : 1873
Monument Type : Domestic Chapel
Evidence : Destroyed Monument, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : 20th Century
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Farmhouse
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 538602000
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 538603000
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 538606000
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 538604000
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 538605000
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 30123
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 325998
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 54 SW 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 56487
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 54 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-05-06
End Date : 1963-05-06
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 54 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-01-03
End Date : 1975-01-03
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 54 SW 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1985-11-18
End Date : 1985-11-18
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: VALE OF YORK NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1998-01-06
End Date : 2000-12-31