HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Newburgh Priory

Hob Uid: 56813
Location :
North Yorkshire
Hambleton
Newburgh
Grid Ref : SE5425076490
Summary : The remains of Newburgh Priory are located on the site of a country house of the same name. The Augustinian monastery was dedicated to St Mary and founded in AD 1145 by Roger de Mowbray, replacing a temporary settlement at Hood (Hood Grange SE 58 SW 34). It was dissolved in 1538. The priory church was demolished but the rest of the priory site was converted to a dwelling house in around 1600. However there are thought to be very few remains of the priory actually incorporated into the fabric of the later building. In 1859, it was recorded that foundations of the Priory Church were still extant between the north entrance and the fishponds. In addition many 'curious carved stones and a stone coffin' were preserved at the east end of the hall. An 11th century Saxon shaft fragment or plaque remains on the west wall of the long gallery range of the country house. The fishpond at Newburgh, now much altered, was in existence in 1222 and is fed by water from Long Beck (called Mikelbec in monastic documents) raised on a medieval causewayed channel, built to assist with the drainage of the Byland Abbey site. The fishpond also provided water for Newburgh Mill. It is now much altered as a modern landscaped ornamental pond.
More information : (SE 54257649) Newburgh Priory and remains of (NAT)

Newburgh Priory (NR) (Augustinian Founded AD 1145). (1)

The Augustinian priory of Newburgh, dedicated to St Mary and begun in 1142-3 by Roger de Mowbray replaced a temporary settlement at Hood (Hood Grange SE 58 SW 34) in 1145, and was dissolved 1538. (2)

The Priory church was demolished but foundations remain between the north entrance and the fishponds. Many curious carved stones and a stone coffin are preserved at the east end of the hall. (3)

Newburgh Priory, a large irregular stone building converted to a dwelling house after the dissolution. The central block is chiefly c1600 with a later east wing and kitchen wing dated 1767, damaged by fire 1950. Grade I building. The remains of Oliver Cromwell are buried here. (4)

The present house is mainly as decribed by D of E with slight modernisations. There are no obvious remains of the priory incorporated in the fabric. The area between the N entrance and the fishpond has been levelled and there is no trace of any foundations.

Not of sufficient importance. To be revised by field Surveyor. (5)

Rectangular mark visible at SE 54327659 on OS APs (6)

No change to report of 10/6/74. Cropmark on OS APs not evident on the ground. See ground photos. The fishpond (centred SE 542767) must obviously have a monastic background; there are however no associated breeding ponds or sluices and the whole is now represented by a modern landscaped ornamental pond. (7)

The fishpond at Newburgh (see Authy 7) was in existence in 1222 and is fed by water from Long Beck (called Mikelbec in monastic documents) raised on a medieval causewayed channel, built to assist with the drainage of the Byland Abbey site. The fishpond also provided water for Newburgh Mill. (8)

Description of the 11th century Saxon shaft fragment or plaque deoicting tow of the Evangelists, located on the west wallof the long gallery range. (9)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" map, 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 142,167
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Yorkshire and the North Riding, vol 2, 1859, p 666 (T Whellan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) Yorkshire, Easingwold Rural District, April 1952, p 11
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Field Investigator, ISS, 10-JUN-1974
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : OS 73/421 319-320
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Field Investigator, AJT, 12-NOV-1976
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Ryedale Historian, vol 1, 1965, p 35-36 (J McDonnell and M R Everest)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture VI: Northern Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 179-80
Figs. :
Plates : 653
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C11 remains
Monument End Date : 1066
Monument Start Date : 1000
Monument Type : Cross
Evidence : Architectural Component
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Carved Stone
Evidence : Structure, Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1142
Monument Type : Augustinian Monastery, Priory, Church
Evidence : Extant Building, Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant in 1222
Monument End Date : 1222
Monument Start Date : 1222
Monument Type : Fishpond
Evidence : Earthwork

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Cross
Object Type : PLAQUE
Object Material : Limestone
Period : Medieval
Component Monument Type : Carved Stone
Object Type : COFFIN
Object Material : Stone

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 11002
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 11002.03
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (North Yorkshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 1001
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 332765
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 57 NW 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 57371
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1543383
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1315697
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 57 NW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1974-06-10
End Date : 1974-06-10
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 57 NW 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1976-11-12
End Date : 1976-11-12
Associated Activities : Primary, LAND AT NEWBURGH PRIORY
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 2005-01-01
End Date : 2005-12-31