HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Easingwold Hall

Hob Uid: 57013
Location :
North Yorkshire
Hambleton
Easingwold
Grid Ref : SE5295370183
Summary : Medieval manor house which was extant in 1290 but demolished by 1835 at which date an associated moat and fishpond were still visible. All these features appear to have been levelled.
More information : (SE 5295 7017) Manor House on Site of (NAT), Easingwold Hall (NR),
Fishpond (NR) (Remains of) (NAT). (1)

Rectory House, variously called Easingwold Hall or Manor House, and belonging to the Archdeacons of Richmond, was demolished in 1835 and replaced by a new building. The only remains are the moat, garden walls, fishpond and a few very old Weymouth pines which surround the site. From 1290 to 1317 the Manor House "became very ruinous and greatly in need of repair". (2)

The `new' manor house has now been demolished and the site developed for housing. There are no remains of the fishpond, nor any trace of a moat. (3)

At SE 5290 7018 there was a large negative earthwork in 1953 (4a), just to the west of the site of Easingwold hall. It is not clear
whether this is the fishpond described by authority 2 or a small
quarry. By 1972 the feature had been levelled.
(Morph No. HH.22.4.1).

This description is based on data from the RCHME MORPH2 database. (4)

Easingwold Manor was a royal demesne from the Conquest until it was granted to the abbot of Thorney in the reign of Henry III. In 1217 it was included in a list of royal hunting lodges. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" map, 1957
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Yorkshire and the North Riding, vol 2, 1859, p 603-604 (T Whellan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Field Investigator, RE, 15-JUL-1973
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Damian Grady/24-SEP-1993/RCHME: Howardian Hills Project
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4a
Source : Aerial photograph
Source details : RAF F21/58/1273/004
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 925
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge, Manor House, Moat, Fishpond
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : MORPH2
External Cross Reference Number : HH.22.4
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 57 SW 4
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 57 SW 4
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1973-07-15
End Date : 1973-07-15
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME/NYCC: HOWARDIAN HILLS PROJECT
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1993-04-01
End Date : 1994-01-01
Associated Activities : Primary, EASINGWOLD MANOR, MILLFIELD LANE
Activity type : DESK BASED ASSESSMENT
Start Date : 1998-01-01
End Date : 1998-12-31