HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Hood Grange

Hob Uid: 57371
Location :
North Yorkshire
Hambleton
Hood Grange
Grid Ref : SE5045082320
Summary : Farmhouse, built on site of former hermitage, known to have existed before 1138. All that now remains of the hermitage are two window heads and stone coffins, built into the walls of a barn. In 1142, monks displaced from Furness Abbey in 1138, were temporarily sent to Hood hermitage before being granted land at Old Byland to build a new Cistercian Abbey. Augustinian canons from Bridlington then settled here while their new abbey at Newburgh was being built, 1143-45. It then became a grange of Newburgh until dissolved in 1539.
More information : SE 5045 8232. Hood Grange (NR) on site of (NAT) Cell (NR). (1)

A hermitage of Robert de Alneto, formerly a monk of Whitby, existed
at Hood before 1138. Between 1138 and 1142 it was occupied by Abbot
Gerald and twelve monks from the Savigny (later Cistercian) abbey of
Furness (see SD 27 SW/12) and Robert de Alneto became a member of the
community. Released from the jurisdiction of Furness in 1142 the
monks moved to Byland (see SE 58 NE/16) in 1143. and were replaced
at Hood by Augustinian canons from Bridlington (see TA 16 NE/15) who
settled here while their new priory of Newburgh (see SE 57 NW/2) was
being built. They moved to the priory in 1145, after which Hood
became a cell of Newburgh until the dissolution in 1539. (2-3)

There are no remains of the Monastery at Hood except two stone
coffins, one of which is built up in a barn wall. A `curious font',
dug up here some years ago is in the grounds of Thirsk Hall. (4)

Hood Grange, a two storeyed building dating from late 12th century.
"On site of monastic cell". The outbuildings may include early work.
Two trefoil window heads and a stone coffin are built into one of
the barns, and there is also a small dilapidated half-timbered
cell. Grade II. (5)

The farmhouse is as described and is not outstanding. The trefoil
window heads and stone coffin are extant (See ground photograph) but
the half-timbered cell has been demolished. (6)

Hood Grange is probably 17th century but a medieval barn stands
behind it. Inside the barn is a plain medieval doorway, but 15th
century windows in the wall are not in situ. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" map, 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 230-1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 116-7,120,160
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : History and Topography of York and the North Riding, 1859, vol 2, p 668-669 (T Whellan)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR), Thirsk Rural District, Yorkshire North Riding, August 1960, p 6
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Field Investigator, CDA, 06-JAN-1977
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Yorkshire, the North Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 191
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1143
Monument Start Date : 1130
Monument Type : Hermitage (Religious)
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Temporarily extant
Monument End Date : 1143
Monument Start Date : 1142
Monument Type : Cistercian Cell
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Temporarily extant
Monument End Date : 1145
Monument Start Date : 1143
Monument Type : Augustinian Cell
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1145
Monument Type : Augustinian Grange
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Post Medieval
Monument End Date : 1901
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Farmhouse, Barn
Evidence : Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 58 SW 32
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 56808
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 57069
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 57386
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 8654
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 56813
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 58 SW 31
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1977-01-06
End Date : 1977-01-06