HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Kings Manor

Hob Uid: 57939
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Snaith and Cowick
Grid Ref : SE6519120568
Summary : Medieval moat, 45m south of Little London. The site survives as an earthwork, dredged in 1976, when the remains of a wooden bridge were found, along with pottery, leatherwork, decorated floor tiles and animal bones. The moat was dug around an existing manorial complex in about 1320. The original buildings may have been a royal hunting lodge. A documentary source of 1373-4 refers to a hall, kitchen, chambers, larder, pantry and stable.
More information : [SE 65202055] Manor Hill Mansion [NR] (Site of). (1)

At some distance from the house of Cowick Park are the remains of a moated tower, said to have been erected for John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. (2)

Suggested date of ruin, AD 1204. (3)

Resurveyed at 1:2500. A water filled moated enclosure in good condition and well defined; there is no evidence of any structural remains within the enclosed area. (4)

Condition unchanged apart from minor amendments, published survey (25") revised. (5)

SE 653205. `King's Manor' or 'Manor Hill' moated site. Cowick Manor together with the rest of the Lancastrian inheritance passed into the ownership of the Crown in 1322. Edward II ordered various improvements at Cowick; chamber accounts 1322-4 refer to works on the 'houses' of the manor which were roofed with tiles and fitted with new fireplaces, and also to the digging of a great ditch 40 ft wide and 10 ft deep around the inner court in the summer of 1323. Cowick was among the Chamber Manors taken by Queen Isabella in 1327, and was afterwards held by Queen Phillippa. It returned to Lancastrian owners in 1370. An account at the time of John of Gaunt, 1373-4, refers to the Hall, kitchen, privy chamber, larder, pantry, stable and bridge (a).

The outer courts are under plough. The moat survives, dredged in 1976 prior to stocking with fish. Dredging operations watched over by M J Dolby for the Department of the Environment revealed the central stone pier and part of the inner abutment of the bridge on the N stretch of the moat. A sole plate of the bridge, 8.20m long and 0.45m x 0.25m in cross section, containing mortice holes, was recovered near the central pier. Other finds, deposited in Doncaster Museum, included timber planks, parts of three wooden bowls, a mallet with an oak head, leatherwork, a wide range of pottery vessels dating down to the early 16th century, including many products of the West Cowick kilns, decorated floor tiles, a key and an arrowhead both of iron, together with bones of cattle, horse, pig, sheep and red, roe and fallow deer. Samples were taken for environmental analysis and timber sections were obtained for dendrochronology. (6-8)

SE 653205. Moat in South Park, Snaith & Cowick. Scheduled. (9)

The moat is visible on air photographs of various dates, but the island and external bank are tree-covered. (10)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" map, 1956
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Through Airedale, 1891, p 16 (J Gray)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference
Source details : Object Name Book, 2nd Revision, 1906, Yorkshire, p 251
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division Field Investigator, RL 26-MAR-1963
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator, ISS, 03-JAN-1975
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : A survey of archaeological sites in Humberside carried out for the Humberside Joint Archaeological Committee
Source details :
Page(s) : 158
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The history of the King's Works, volume 2 : the Middle Ages
Source details :
Page(s) : 921-2
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details :
Page(s) : 11
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 49
Source Number : 9
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : DOE (IAM), Ancient Monuments in England, 1978, vol 1, p 30
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : RAF CPE/UK 2072 3018 17-MAY-1947
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : c1320
Monument End Date : 1330
Monument Start Date : 1310
Monument Type : Moat, Manor House
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Pre 1320
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1320
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1320 - early C16
Monument End Date : 1532
Monument Start Date : 1320
Monument Type : Moat, Manor House, Bridge
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit, Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1373-74
Monument End Date : 1374
Monument Start Date : 1373
Monument Type : Hall House, Manor House, Kitchen, Larder, Stable
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Period : Medieval
Component Monument Type : Moat, Manor House, Bridge
Object Type : VESSEL, BOWL, FLOOR TILE, ANIMAL REMAINS, KEY (LOCKING), ARROWHEAD
Object Material : Pottery, Wood, Leather, Bone, Iron

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : ER 171
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : YK 545
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Humberside)
External Cross Reference Number : 1284
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HU 171
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 26606
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 62 SE 1
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 62 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-03-26
End Date : 1963-03-26
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 62 SE 1
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-01-03
End Date : 1975-01-03
Associated Activities : Primary, KINGS MANOR MOATED SITE
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1976-01-01
End Date : 1976-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: VALE OF YORK NMP
Activity type : AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH INTERPRETATION
Start Date : 1998-01-06
End Date : 2000-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CONISBROUGH CASTLE AND COWICK MANOR
Activity type : THEMATIC SURVEY
Start Date : 2010-01-01
End Date : 2010-12-31