HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Andrews Priory

Hob Uid: 58160
Location :
York
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SE6064051120
Summary : A Gilbertine Priory founded circa 1200 by Hugh Murdac, Archdeacon of Cleveland, and dissolved in 1538. Only part of the precinct wall remains. Excavations have most of the plan, excepting the claustral West range which has been totally destroyed. The cloister was arranged to the North of the church. There was a timber church on the site in the 12th century prior to the construction of the priory, which probably began in 1195. The earliest stone church was an aisleless structure with a central crossing, had short transepts with eastern chapels, and a presbytery. The dormitory and chapter house were in the East range of the cloister, and the refectory in the North range. Altered in the late 13th and early 14th centuries, when the church was demolished and rebuilt as a smaller, aisleless, buttressed building with reduced transepts and presbytery. The East range was rebuilt, the chapter house taken out of use.
More information : [SE 6064 5112] Site of St. Andrew's Priory [G.T.] Gilbertine founded c. AD 1200.
[SE 6069 5100] Priory Wall [GT] (Remains of) [T.I.]

St. Andrew's Priory of Gilbertine Canons was founded c. 1200. Part of the southern boundary wall was visible in 1958 in Blue Bridge Lane.

The site is now covered by modern development, and there are no visible remains of the Priory. Renovated sections of the tower courses of the precinct wall are incorporated with modern walling at SE 60655100 and SE60695100.

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:1250 1962.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:500 1891
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 175
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : A history of Yorkshire: the city of York
Source details :
Page(s) : 360
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RWE 05-JUN-63
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 199
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The church and Gilbertine priory of St Andrew, Fishergate
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Extant
Monument End Date : 1538
Monument Start Date : 1200
Monument Type : Gilbertine Monastery, Church, Cloister, Chapter House, Refectory, Dormitory, Cemetery, Precinct Wall, Priory
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 65 SW 10
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 65 SW 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1963-06-05
End Date : 1963-06-05
Associated Activities : Primary, 46-54 FISHERGATE/REDFEARN NATIONAL GLASS FACTORY
Activity type : EXCAVATION
Start Date : 1984-01-01
End Date : 1986-12-31