HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Great Hall And Strong Tower

Hob Uid: 1106511
Location :
Warwickshire
Warwick
Kenilworth
Grid Ref : SP2779972270
Summary : The Great Hall at Kenilworth Castle is considered to have been one of the largest and finest secular apartments of late 14th century Britain, built between 1373 and 1380. Its existence came from the rebuilding, modernisation and refurbishment work carried out at the castle by John of Gaunt after 1361 and appears to be a remodelling of its predecessor, which was itself reroofed in 1347. The arcades of the pre-existing structures were replaced by the widest single span trussed roof of its day (excepting only Westminster) and a vaulted undercroft, which was inserted below the hall. Attached to the north-west corner of the hall is the Strong Tower which provided access to both levels of the hall from the kitchens. Rooms on either side of the passage into the Great Hall formed the buttery and pantry. The tower was vaulted on all three levels, and contained chambers and storerooms.The Great Hall is six bays long with exceedingly high and delicate windows. The tracery is the best surviving example of the early Perpendicular style in a domestic building. The hall itself was located on the first floor and boasted six fireplaces. The north end of the cellars led to a small exit with a portcullis which provided an alternative route from the inner court to the water gate on the edge of the mere. At the time of a survey in 1563, the wine cellar and beer cellar occupied the rest of the space under the hall. The windows of the hall had stone seats from which entertainment could be viewed following a banquet.
More information : Scheduled.
The Great Hall at Kenilworth Castle is considered to have been one of the largest and finest secular apartments of late 14th century Britain. Its existence came from the rebuilding, modernisation and refurbishment work caried out at the castle by John of Gaunt after 1361. The building appears to be a remodelling of its predecessor, which was itself reroofed in 1347. The arcades of the pre-existing structures were swept away to be replaced by the widest single span trussed roof of its day and a vaulted undercroft, which was inserted below the hall. Attached to the north west corner of the hall is the Strong Tower which provided access to both levels of the hall from the kitchens. Rooms on either side of the passage into the Great Hall formed the buttery and pantry. The tower was vaulted on all three levels, and contained chambers and storerooms. At its south west corner, the Strong Tower is balanced by the Saintlowe Tower which connected the hall to the state apartments to the south east. (1)

Listed. (2)

The Great Hall at Kenilworth Castle is considered to have been one of the largest and finest secular apartments of late 14th century Britain, built between 1373 and 1380. Its existence came from the rebuilding, modernisation and refurbishment work carried out at the castle by John of Gaunt after 1361 and appears to be a remodelling of its predecessor, which was itself reroofed in 1347. The arcades of the pre-existing structures were replaced by the widest single span trussed roof of its day (excepting only Westminster) and a vaulted undercroft, which was inserted below the hall. Attached to the north-west corner of the hall is the Strong Tower which provided access to both levels of the hall from the kitchens. Rooms on either side of the passage into the Great Hall formed the buttery and pantry. The tower was vaulted on all three levels, and contained chambers and storerooms.
The Great Hall is six bays long with exceedingly high and delicate windows. The tracery is the best surviving example of the early Perpendicular style in a domestic building. The hall itself was located on the first floor and boasted six fireplaces. The north end of the cellars led to a small exit with a portcullis which provided an alternative route from the inner court to the water gate on the edge of the mere. At the time of a survey in 1563, the wine cellar and beer cellar occupied the rest of the space under the hall. The windows of the hall had stone seats from which entertainment could be viewed following a banquet. (3, 5)

Registered Park & Garden. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 04-Jan-96
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Warwick, 10-NOV-1971
Page(s) : 1
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 586
Source Number : 3
Source : Kenilworth Castle [guide]
Source details :
Page(s) : 06-Sep
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Warwickshire
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 42
Source Number : 5
Source : Kenilworth Castle (English Heritage Guidebooks)
Source details :
Page(s) : Dec-15
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built between 1167 and 1347
Monument End Date : 1347
Monument Start Date : 1167
Monument Type : Great Hall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Reroofed in 1347
Monument End Date : 1347
Monument Start Date : 1347
Monument Type : Great Hall
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built between 1373 and 1380
Monument End Date : 1380
Monument Start Date : 1373
Monument Type : Castle, Royal Palace, Great Hall, Tower, Service Wing, Buttery, Larder, Undercroft
Evidence : Ruined Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : WA 1
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21576
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 307721
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 5383
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 27 SE 48
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :