HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

The Old Hall

Hob Uid: 60248
Location :
North Yorkshire
Ryedale
Sinnington
Grid Ref : SE7460086100
Summary : The standing and roofed remains of a 12th century great hall located 40 metres NNW of All Saints Church, Sinnington, just to the east of the later Sinnington Hall. The hall is believed to have been built by Guisborough Priory in the later 12th century for the grange that was acquired from Ralph de Clere after 1168. At the same time, de Clere had given the church at Sinnington to the Benedictine nunnery at Yeddingham. In 1239 Yeddington Priory agreed to support the chapel at St Martin and the other buildings at Sinnington owned by Guisborough Priory. In 1431-32 Matilda of York paid for a series of modifications to the chapel at Sinnington, which has been identified as the great hall, including the installation of partitions and flooring, and the filling of old windows. After the Dissoultion in the 1530s the hall is thought to have reverted to domestic occupation, becoming the rectory of William Thwaytes, but in the following centuries, probably the 17th century or later, the building was re-roofed and converted into a barn and stables. The hall is orientated north-south and is aproximately 21 metres by 11 metres externally, limestone built with a pitched slate roof. The west wall retains two partially blocked three light 15th century windows and, at the north end, a pair of two centred arched doorways. The east wall has an original 12th century door and window together with an additional larger three light 15th century window, all of which are now blocked. There is part of a large blocked 15th century window in the south wall. Internally the hall has four bays, with the two end bays divided from the central pair by stone partition walls. The central pair of bays were originally divided by a 15th century oak screen which survived into the early 20 the century. The carved oak cross beam for this partition believed to have been paid for by Matilda of York is still in place. Scheduled and Listed Grade I.
More information : (SE 7461 8610) Hall (NR) (Rems of)
(SE 7458 8625) Cock Pit (NR) (1)

A large Md hall (2) now used as a barn (3) lies immediately N of
Sinnington church and contains a two-light 12th century window.
The foundations of St Michael's chapel (2) mentioned in 1239 (4)
have been traced to the north of the hall, and further
foundations, presumably a part of the Md rectorial manor, were
uncovered during construction of outbuildings attached to the
present farm (2). (2-4)

The old cock pit was used for the Md hall. (5)

The hall is in good condition and still in use as a barn. No
trace of other foundations.

The Cock Pit is now only visible as a rough grass-covered circular
area set into the slope and measuring about 15m diameter with no
outstanding features. The central area contains field rubble and
is overgrown. Published Survey (25") revised. (6)

SE 746 861. Old manor house. Scheduled no. NY/146
SE 746 863. Cockpit. Scheduled no. NY/1149. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The monastic grange in medieval England : a reassessment
Source details :
Page(s) : 233
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Yorkshire, the North Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 342
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 127
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : Correspondents Annotated 6" Sheet (R H Hayes 1950)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ISS 04-DEC-75
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : North Yorkshire
Page(s) : 49
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 18/03/1998
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Ryedale 27/08/1987
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Before 1431
Monument End Date : 1431
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C12 (After 1168)
Monument End Date : 1199
Monument Start Date : 1168
Monument Type : Great Hall
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Modified 1431-32
Monument End Date : 1432
Monument Start Date : 1431
Monument Type : Chapel
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : From C17
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1600
Monument Type : Barn, Stable
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NY 146
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 382504
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 44094
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 78 NW 52
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, YORKSHIRE VERNACULAR BUILDINGS STUDY GROUP
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 78 NW 52
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1975-12-04
End Date : 1975-12-04