HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Church Of St Mary

Hob Uid: 60718
Location :
North Yorkshire
Ryedale
Lastingham
Grid Ref : SE7281090450
Summary : Church, mainly of Norman and later date, on site of Benedictine Abbey. A Benedictine abbey at Lastingham, (Laestingaeu), was founded after 654 by St Cedd, who died and was buried there in 664, but it was destroyed by the Danes circa 870. In 1078 the site was granted to the Benedictine monks of Whitby, a party of whom under Abbot Stephen built a new church and monastery, but by 1086 they had moved to York. The church became parochial in 1228 when the unfinished fabric of the original church was adapted and incorporated into the new. There is 11th, 13th and 14th century work, although it is uncertain that any pre-Conquest fabric remains in situ, and some 19th century restoration. A supposed Roman altar said to be from Cawthorn Camps is in the church. There are 12 fragments of Anglian stonework in the church.
More information : (SE 72749035) (Site of) (NAT) Lastingham Abbey (NR)
(Benedictine) (NAT) (1)

(SE 72819045) St. Mary's Church (C of E) and remains of (NAT) Abbey
(NR) (Benedictine) (NAT) (2)

A Benedictine Abbey at Lastingham was founded after 654 by St Cedd,
who died and was buried here in 664. It was destroyed by the Danes
circa 870. In 1078 the site was granted to the Benedictine monks of
Whitby, a party of whom under Abbot Stephen built a new church
and monastery, but by 1086 the monks had moved to found St.
Mary's Abbey York.

The present apsidal church of St. Mary is mainly of Norman and
later date, and it is difficult to be certain that any fabric has
remained in situ from a pre-Conquest church. The four columns
which support the vault of the crypt rest on bulbous bases whose
form suggests pre-Conquest rather than Norman work and seem to be
re-used fabric from an earlier church; as is also a carved impost in
the chancel and possibly the lower part of the outer north wall
of the crypt and chancel. The style of work suggests the date
950-1100 (4).

An Anglian sculptured fragment found in a barn wall a little north
of the church is to be placed on view in the crypt. (6-7).

A supposed Roman altar in the church is said to be from Cawthorn Campsbut there appears to be no evidence for this provenence. (3). (Not in Collingwood and Wright). (3-9)

Church of St Mary Founded in 1078 as the church of a Benedictine monastery by Stephen of Whitby. It became parochial in 1228 when the unfinished fabric of the original church was adapted and incorporated into the new church. The crypt, chancel and apse date from 1078-85, early 13th west wall and nave arcades, 14th century tower and some 19th century restoration. Grade 1. (10)

Full description of the twelve fragments of Anglian stonework in the church. Five are cross fragments of late 8th-10th century date, there is a hogback of mid 10th century date, three architectural fragments of late 7th-9th century date, part of a chair of 8th century date, and two fragments of 7th-9th century date. (11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1958
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Annotated Record Map
Source details : OS 1:2500 1977
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE (HHR) District of Ryedale North Yorks 24 June 1987 pp62-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Corpus of Anglo-Saxon stone sculpture, volume 3 : York and eastern Yorkshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 167-174
Figs. :
Plates : 574-626
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Scarborough Archaeological and Historical Society research reports
Source details : (R H Hayes and J G Rutter)
Page(s) : 34
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Apr-64
Source Number : 4
Source : Anglo-Saxon architecture : volume 1
Source details :
Page(s) : 372-3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 55 69 476
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Transactions of the Scarborough Archaeological and Historical Society
Source details :
Page(s) : 22-Mar
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3 no 17 - 1974
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval archaeology : journal of the Society for Medieval Archaeology
Source details :
Page(s) : 173
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 20 - 1976
Source Number : 7a
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : J T Lang
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 102
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1913
Source Number : 9
Source : The Roman inscriptions of Britain, 1. Inscriptions on stone; addenda and corrigenda
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1965

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Roman
Display Date : Roman
Monument End Date : 410
Monument Start Date : 43
Monument Type : Altar
Evidence : Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Built 1078, abandoned 1086
Monument End Date : 1086
Monument Start Date : 1078
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery, Church, Abbey
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C7-9
Monument End Date : 900
Monument Start Date : 601
Monument Type : Architectural Fragment, Carved Stone
Evidence : Architectural Component
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Founded after 654, destroyed c 870
Monument End Date : 870
Monument Start Date : 654
Monument Type : Benedictine Monastery
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : C8
Monument End Date : 800
Monument Start Date : 701
Monument Type : Architectural Fragment
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Late C8-10
Monument End Date : 1000
Monument Start Date : 767
Monument Type : Cross
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Mid C10
Monument End Date : 966
Monument Start Date : 933
Monument Type : Hogback Stone
Evidence : Find
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : rebuilt 1228, C13/C14 work
Monument End Date : 1539
Monument Start Date : 1228
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : C19 restoration
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Parish Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Period : Early Medieval
Component Monument Type : Architectural Fragment
Object Type : CHAIR
Object Material : Sandstone

Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 95497
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 328931
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1316041
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 79 SW 45
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, SURVEY BY SYDNEY DECIMUS KITSON
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date :
End Date :