HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 614551

Hob Uid: 614551
Location :
Devon
North Devon
Combe Martin
Grid Ref : SS5825047780
Summary : The remains of a lime kiln and a possible counting house. Both structures are visible as ruined buildings and are probably of 19th century date and in disuse by 1904. The site is being rapidly eroded away.
More information : SS 58261 47785. The remains of a Lime Kiln and alleged Accounts House precariously situated on the eroding cliff edge above Wild Pear Beach. (The remains were inaccessible so no exact measurements could be obtained).

Nothing is shown of these buildings on the 1843 tithe map (a) or the 1888 Ordnance Survey (b) but the 1904 O.S. (c) shows an open rectangular feature about 6m E/W by 5m, To its immediate south is a smaller round one, some 2.5m diameter.

The rectangular feature now consists of fragments of the north and south walls and part of the curved east side backing into the cliff. Its west side has gone; fallen into the sea without trace. The south wall is about 2m high the east and west are much less. The curving east side is presumably the remains of a kiln bowl indicating that this was a limekiln. Claughton (d) confirms that this rectangular building (seen by him in 1973) was a lime kiln and suggests it was using lime and coal brought in by sea from South Wales, by ships which returned with iron/manganese from the adjacent workings. The fact that it is depicted on the 1904 OS as an unannotated open, ie unroofed, feature without trace of the central bowl suggests it was already in ruin by then.

The small round feature is more enigmatic. Its remains, a mere fragment of a wall, are now so slight that it is impossible to say what it was initailly. Although she made no reference to the limekiln, Toms (e) in 1902 stated "iron was found at Wild Pear Bay under Little Hangman, where may be seen the remains of an office or counting house where the mens wages were paid" but gives no authority for her comment. Though rather small, Claughton (d) suggests this may have been the circular feature to the side of the limekiln.

Although this limekiln and accounts house are not depicted on the 1888/89 Ordnance Map (b) they were most probably in situ well before then as they were almost certainly associated with adjacent mining operations in the mid 19th century (See SS54NE 22 & 44).

Published Survey 1:2500 (1963) Revised. (1)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ISS 28-APR-1993
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1a
Source : Externally held archive reference
Source details : Combmartin Tithe Map 1843 Devon Rec Off (Ref I/S9A/7-9a)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1b
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1888/89 1:2500 Devon Sheet 1:15
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1c
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1904 1:2500 Devon Sheet 1:15
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1d
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Pers Comm, Letter & Maps 22-Apr-1993 (P F Claughton)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1e
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Notes on Combe Martin 1902 37 (K M Toms)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Field report on SS 54 NE 23 - 28-APR-1993
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Probably C19
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1801
Monument Type : Lime Kiln, Counting House
Evidence : Ruined Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : In disuse by 1904
Monument End Date : 1904
Monument Start Date : 1904
Monument Type : Lime Kiln, Counting House
Evidence : Ruined Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SS 54 NE 23
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SS 54 NE 23
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1993-04-28
End Date : 1993-04-28