HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 6163

Hob Uid: 6163
Location :
Northumberland
Chatton
Grid Ref : NU0566033150
Summary : The alleged location of a pele tower, first mentioned circa 1514 when it could hold a garrison of twenty men. In 1715 it is alleged that a house was built from the ruins. There are no visible remains of a tower or house.
More information : [NU 05663315] Tower [NR] (Site of) (1)

First mentioned c1514 when it could hold a garrison of twenty men. In 1715, a house was built from the ruins. (2)

No visible remains of tower or house. The site cannot be confirmed from local sources (i.e. estate maps and title apportionment) (3)

The Hazelrigg family inherited Hazelrigg in the 13th century, but at the end of the 15th century, the last heiress had married Sir Thomas Haggerston and lived at Haggerston. When Sir Thomas died in 1507, his widow returned to Hazelrigg where her stepson built a new tower on the side of a hill for her protection. It was a large fortification capable of housing 20 soldiers. It was attacked by 300 Scots in 1515 and set ablaze. Although repaired by 1538, it was a low, incomplete building in good condition. The Scots returned in 1546 and 1588 after which there is no further documentation. In 1715 there is a reference to a house having been built on the site out of the tower's ruins.

There are several `Hazelriggs' which qualify for the site - North, South, Old, Mill, Dean and Moss, but none without an adjective, so the house's exact position is unknown. (4)

Listed by Cathcart King. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1965
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : A history of Northumberland, volume fourteen : the parishes of Alnham, Chatton, Chillingham, Eglingham, Ilderton, Ingram and Whittingham, the chapelries of Lowick and Doddington
Source details :
Page(s) : 226-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.14
Source Number : 3
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 DS 20-JAN-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Bastions and Belligerents: Medieval Strongholds in Northumberland
Source details :
Page(s) : 99-100
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 349
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built between 1507-14
Monument End Date : 1514
Monument Start Date : 1507
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished by 1715
Monument End Date : 1715
Monument Start Date : 1715
Monument Type : Tower House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Replaced by 1715
Monument End Date : 1715
Monument Start Date : 1715
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NU 03 SE 2
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NU 03 SE 2
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-01-20
End Date : 1968-01-20