HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Lunns Tower

Hob Uid: 1527886
Location :
Warwickshire
Warwick
Kenilworth
Grid Ref : SP2797072330
Summary : The site of Lunn's Tower, situated on the outer curtain wall of Kenilworth Castle. It is the best preserved of King John's wall towers of about 1210-1215. The north western corner of the wall's circuit is occupied by the Swan Tower, whilst its north eastern and south eastern corners are defended by Lunn's Tower and the Water Tower respectively. The ground floor of Lunn's tower had five fish-tailed arrowloops, two of which have been restored and are visible today from the exterior. The external stair turret gave access to the two upper floors and the wall-walk. The second floor was built as a residential chamber, and the first floor was subsequently converted into another chamber.A two-storey timber building was once attached to the tower, and was probably built by the constable, John Ashford. Documentary sources record that it was in the possession of his wife in 1400 together with the tower. The constable was responsible for the security of the castle and would have been a permanent resident.
More information : The site of Lunn's Tower, situated on the outer curtain wall of Kenilworth Castle. It is the best preserved of King John's wall towers of about 1210-1215. The north western corner of the wall's circuit is occupied by the Swan Tower, whilst its north eastern and south eastern corners are defended by Lunn's Tower and the Water Tower respectively. The ground floor of Lunn's tower had five fish-tailed arrowloops, two of which have been restored and are visible today from the exterior. The external stair turret gave access to the two upper floors and the wall-walk. The second floor was built as a residential chamber, and the first floor was subsequently converted into another chamber.
A two-storey timber building was once attached to the tower, and was probably built by the constable, John Ashford. Documentary sources record that it was in the possession of his wife in 1400 together with the tower. The constable was responsible for the security of the castle and would have been a permanent resident. (1)

Scheduled. (2)

The site lies within a Registered Park and Garden. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Kenilworth Castle (English Heritage Guidebooks)
Source details :
Page(s) : 29, 50
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : Warwick, 04-JAN-1996
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : Warwick, 28-FEB-1986
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1215
Monument Start Date : 1210
Monument Type : Tower, Curtain Wall, Turret
Evidence : Ruined Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1400
Monument Start Date : 1400
Monument Type : Timber Framed Building, House, Tower, Curtain Wall, Turret
Evidence : Ruined Building, Documentary Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 21576
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Register of Parks and Gardens Legacy No.
External Cross Reference Number : GD1472
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Warwickshire)
External Cross Reference Number : 5381
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SP 27 SE 81
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :