HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Snowdon Aviary

Hob Uid: 619105
Location :
Greater London Authority
City of Westminster
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ2788583560
Summary : Also known as the Northern Aviary, this is the largest and most spectacular aviary in London Zoo and was built in 1962-65 as a result of Sir Hugh Casson's 1958 redevelopment plan of the Zoo known as 'The New Zoo' as a replacement for the Great Aviary of 1888, the site of which is now occupied by the Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes and Monkeys (Monument HOB UID 1170173). It was Britain's first walk-through aviary and was designed to allow the public close up views of birds in different number of habitats. The aviary was pioneering on two fronts; it is a large tension structure and it is largery made of aluminium. The avairy designs were by Antony Armstrong-Jones (Lord Snowdon) and Cedric Price, with some of the funding provided by Jack Cotton. The engineer was Frank Newby, of Felix Samuely and Partners, with landscape architects Margaret Maxwell and Peter Shepheard. The contractor was Leonard Fairclough Limited. It comprises an aluminium and steel frame with mesh cladding and concrete foundations, and measures 45 metres by 19 metres with a maximum height of 24 metres. Public circulation within the interior was along the main axis following a zig zag path, the central section of which comprises a cantilevered reinforced concrete bridge. The interior has been landscaped to include waterfalls, ponds and pools. Birds ranging from birds of prey to waterfowl have been housed here.
More information : Also known as the Northern Aviary, this is the largest and most spectacular aviary in London Zoo and was built in 1962-65 as part of Sir Hugh Casson's 1958 redevelopment plan of the Zoo, as a replacement for the Great Aviary of 1888, the site of which is now occupied by the Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes and Monkeys (Monument HOB UID 1170173). It was Britain's first walk-through aviary and was designed to allow the public close up views of birds in different number of habitats. The aviary was pioneering on two fronts; it is a large tension structure and it is largery made of aluminium.

The avairy designs were by Antony Armstrong-Jones (Lord Snowdon) and Cedric Price, with some of the funding provided by Jack Cotton. The engineer was Frank Newby, of Felix Samuely and Partners, with landscape architects Margaret Maxwell and Peter Shepheard. The contractor was Leonard Fairclough Limited. It comprises an aluminium and steel frame with mesh cladding and concrete foundations, and measures 45 metres by 19 metres with a maximum height of 24 metres.

Public circulation within the interior was along the main axis following a zig zag path, the central section of which comprises a cantilevered reinforced concrete bridge. The interior has been landscaped to include waterfalls, ponds and pools. Birds ranging from birds of prey to waterfowl have been housed here. (1-4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : The Buildings of London Zoo
Source details :
Page(s) : 75-78
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : City of Westminster (Amended 12th June 1998)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1990
Source Number : 3
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : [Accessed 08-OCT-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : [Accessed 08-OCT-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Mid 20th Century
Display Date : Built 1962-1965
Monument End Date : 1965
Monument Start Date : 1962
Monument Type : Aviary, Waterfall, Bridge
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 90528
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 469316
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 28 SE 86
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: BUILDINGS OF LONDON ZOO
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1991-01-01
End Date : 1992-12-31