HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stansted House

Hob Uid: 620686
Location :
West Sussex
Chichester
Stoughton
Grid Ref : SU7610010300
Summary : Royal hunting lodge, demolished and replaced by a house in 1686. The house was remodelled and enlarged in 1786 and circa 1840. It was destroyed by fire in 1900. The house was rebuilt in neo-Wren style in 1902.
More information : (SU 76131032) Stansted House [NAT] (1)

(SU7610) House. 1902 by A C Blomfield, replacing that of 1686 which had been altered 1786-91 by James Wyatt and Joseph Bonomi, and c. 1840 by T Hopper. (2)

Stansted House. The original building was a royal hunting lodge and then belonged to the Fitzalans, and what remains of it is incorporated in the chapel. In 1686 this was replaced by a house 1/4 mile to the north east designed by Talman. This was recased and wings were added by Wyatt in 1786; this in turn was burnt out in 1900 and rebuilt by Sir Reginald Blomfield in neo-Wren style. So the present house consists of the main block of the early 1900s and a lower late 18th c part to the north. (3)

Listed. (4)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1: 10000
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Register of parks and gardens of special historic interest in England
Source details : West Sussex
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Part 44
Source Number : 3
Source : Sussex
Source details :
Page(s) : 336-37
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : West Sussex (former Chichester Rural District) 1986
Page(s) : 211-12
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Pre 1686
Monument End Date : 1686
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1686
Monument End Date : 1686
Monument Start Date : 1686
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodeled and enlarged 1786
Monument End Date : 1786
Monument Start Date : 1786
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Remodelled and enlarged c1840
Monument End Date : 1850
Monument Start Date : 1830
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Destroyed by fire 1900
Monument End Date : 1900
Monument Start Date : 1900
Monument Type : House
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Rebuilt in 1902
Monument End Date : 1902
Monument Start Date : 1902
Monument Type : Country House
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 301294
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SU 71 SE 26
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 620687
Relationship type :

Related Activities :