HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Lawrences Hospital

Hob Uid: 1565712
Location :
Surrey
Tandridge
Caterham-on-the-Hill
Grid Ref : TQ3278255813
Summary : The building housing the former St Lawrence's Hospital was built in 1868 in Coulsdon Road, Surrey. The building was originally purpose built as the Imbecile Asylum at Caterham, as it was then known, and was on of the first of such asylums established by the Metropolitan Asylums Board which had been set up in 1867 to provide care for certain sicknesses in London. The building was designed by the architectural practice Messrs. J. Giles & Biven and was intended to house 1,560 inmates with separate blocks for men and women. Extensions were made to the building by Giles and Gough in 1873 and included an additional block for 160 women and a recreation hall with a stage. At first adults and children were housed together however from 1872 children began to be housed in a children institution in Darenth, Kent. By 1900 the institution was housing around 6000 inmates. The asylum became known as Caterham Mental Hospital from 1920 to 1941 and its administration passed to the London County Council in 1930. In 1941 the building became St Lawrence's Hospital and continued to provide psychiatric care. The site has since been redeveloped for housing and all of the former asylum buildings have been demolished.
More information : The building housing the former St Lawrence’s Hospital was built in 1868 in Coulsdon Road, Surrey. The building was originally purpose built as the Imbecile Asylum at Caterham, as it was then known, and was on of the first of such asylums established by the Metropolitan Asylums Board which had been set up in 1867 to provide care for certain sicknesses in London. The building was designed by the architectural practice Messrs. J. Giles & Biven and was intended to house 1,560 inmates with separate blocks for men and women. Extensions were made to the building by Giles and Gough in 1873 and included an additional block for 160 women and a recreation hall with a stage. At first adults and children were housed together however from 1872 children began to be housed in a children institution in Darenth, Kent.
By 1900 the institution was housing around 6000 inmates. The asylum became known as Caterham Mental Hospital from 1920 to 1941 and its administration passed to the London County Council in 1930. In 1941 the building became St Lawrence’s Hospital and continued to provide psychiatric care. The site has since been redeveloped for housing and all of the former asylum buildings have been demolished. (1)

The National Grid Reference for the former site is: TQ3278255813 (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : The Workhouse, [Accessed 17-JUL-2012]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : 1:1250, 2008
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 35 NW 86
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, ENGLISH HERITAGE: DISABILITY IN TIME AND PLACE
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 2011-01-01
End Date : 2012-12-31