HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Coney Hill

Hob Uid: 64212
Location :
East Riding of Yorkshire
Grid Ref : SE9982046510
Summary : Coney Hill is also known as Hall Garth. A Medieval moated ringwork and possible bailey, and the remains of the manorial complex of Hall Garth. These remains consist of rectangular building platforms and fishponds enclosed by a moat and surviving as earthworks. Thought to have been built from 1120 by the Fossard family who had held the manor of Lockington since 1071. The castle was probably abandoned in the 13th-14th centuries, when the administrative functions were transferred to a new hall built on a moated site located in the castle bailey to the east of the motte. The moated site was abandoned in the 17th century, and its functions transferred to the present Hall Garth, which dates to a685. A pillow mound may also be present. Scheduled.
More information : (SE 99824651) Moat (NR)
(SE 99904651) Old Ditch (NAT) (1)

A low motte with remains of breast work on the SW. There are indications of a bailey. (Centred SE 99854651). (2)

Class 'A' ringwork with bailey at SE 997466. (3)

'Coney Hill' is undoubtedly a ringwork, although it approximates to the 'platform castle' rather than the Class A type (Chateau Gaillard refers). The central area some 50 m E-W by 45 m N-S is marginally raised relative to the external ground level on the west side only, and here also there is a counterscarp bank to the enclosing ditch. The ditch itself appears to be the sole defensive feature, there being no evidence of a continuous internal 'breastwork'. Alleged remains of one noted by the VCH take
the form of a rectangular mound 22m by 7m, which in view of the name 'Coney Hill' may well be a pillow mound. No obvious remains of a bailey survive, although one probably existed on the east side of the ringwork. This area is now occupied by a much disturbed and reduced manorial complex (Hall Garth) consisting of a rectangular building platform and fish ponds, the whole enclosed by the remains of a moat. Published survey (25") revised. (4)

SE 998 465. Hall Garth motte and bailey. Scheduled No HU/144. (5)

Listed by Cathcart King. (6)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1855
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 33
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1912
Source Number : 3
Source : Chateau Gaillard, 3. Conference at Battle, Sussex, 19-24 September 1966
Source details :
Page(s) : 123
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 3
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 RE 28-AUG-73
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : English Heritage SAM List Humbs March 1994 5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Castellarium anglicanum : an index and bibliography of the castles in England, Wales and the Islands. Volume II : Norfolk-Yorkshire and the islands
Source details :
Page(s) : 521
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : Feb-83

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Medieval
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1066
Monument Type : Ringwork, Moat, Building Platform, Fishpond, Manor House, Bailey
Evidence : Earthwork, Documentary Evidence, Conjectural Evidence

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : HU 144
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 35484
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 94 NE 6
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 94 NE 6
Start Date : 1973-08-28
End Date : 1973-08-28