HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Wykeham Priory

Hob Uid: 65464
Location :
North Yorkshire
Scarborough
Wykeham
Grid Ref : SE9626081910
Summary : The upstanding and buried remains of Wykeham Cistercian priory which was founded in 1153 for a community of nuns. In 1540, the priory was dissolved and in 1544 the priory and a grange was granted to Francis Poole. The north wall of the priory church is the only upstanding fabric of Wykeham priory which survives. It is about 40 metres long and 2 metres wide. The original fabric of the wall is roughly coursed sandstone rubble with a chamfered string course. The wall also has a 14th century three light window, a doow with a semi-circular arch infilled with some fragments of decorative stonework, and two blocked arches which led to the north transept. The Dissolution survey of 1540 describes the priory church as 90 feet (28m) long by 22 feet (6.5m) wide. To the south of this was a cloister 60 feet (18m) square. The east range of the cloister housed the parlour, a warming-room, a chapter house and dorter. The south range was a double-storeyed building with cellarage and a refectory. The west range served a combination of functions including guest house, prioress's lodging, and store rooms. To the west of this inner court was the outer court which contained the resident priest's lodgings, guest house, dairy, bakehouse, brewhouse and granary. At the entrance to the outer court was the gatehouse. Significant information of the form and structure of these buildings will be preserved beneath the present ground surface. The east and south precinct boundaries are also evident by a drop in ground level. Scheduled.
More information : (SE 96268191) Remains of (NAT) Wykeham Abbey (NR)
(Cistercian Nuns Founded AD 1153). (1)

Priory of Cistercian Nuns, founded c 1153, dissolved 1539-40. (2)

The north wall of the priory church dating from the close of 12th
century, and a 14th century three-light window, are all that remain.
(3)

The wall (utilised as a garden wall) stands to a height of approx 6.0m and is in fair condition.

Published survey (25") correct. (4)

The priory of St Mary (and St Michael) for Cistercian Nuns at Wykeham
was founded by Pain Fitz Osbert circa 1153. Gervase of Canterbury
(circa 1200) and Speed give it as Gilbertine, but it is Cistercian in
York registers. All the buildings were accidentally burnt down temp.
Edward III. According to a survey taken at the dissolution (7a) the
church was 90 ft long by 22 ft wide and the conventual and ancillary
buildings are also recorded. (5-7)

SE 962819. Wykeham Priory. Scheduled (8)

4/10 Grade II

Remains of Priory. Situated to East of Wykeham Abbey. This was a
house of Cistercian nuns. The visible remains consist of much of the
N wall of the conventual church. C12 and later. Two blocked lancets,a C14 three light window and the blocked arch of N transept are visible. (9-10)

(SE 96268191) Remains of (NAT) Wykeham Abbey (NR)
(Cistercian Nuns Founded 1153) (11)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1889
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Medieval religious houses : England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 226
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 10
Source : Yorkshire, the North Riding
Source details :
Page(s) : 405
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 11
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 1:10000 1977
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 12
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Scarborough, 14-APR-1987
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1461
Source Number : 13
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : 10-Jan-00
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York, North Riding, volume two
Source details :
Page(s) : 498
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 BHP 13-JAN-72
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 272, 277
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : The Victoria history of the county of York: volume three
Source details :
Page(s) : 182-4
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : The Yorkshire archaeological journal
Source details : W Brown
Page(s) : 325-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 9, 1886
Source Number : 7a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Exchequer Papers Ex Q R Misc. Suppression Papers Henry VIII
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : List of ancient monuments in England: Volume 1, Northern England; Volume 2, Southern England; Volume 3, East Anglia and the Midlands
Source details :
Page(s) : 63
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 1
Source Number : 9
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : Scarborough RD, AUG-1966
Page(s) : 19
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Founded in 1153
Monument End Date : 1153
Monument Start Date : 1153
Monument Type : Cistercian Nunnery, Priory
Evidence : Documentary Evidence, Ruined Building, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : 1153 to 1540
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1154
Monument Type : Priory, Church, Cloister, Warming House, Chapter House, Dormitory, Storehouse, Refectory, Guest House, Monastic Dwelling, Dairy, Bakehouse, Brewery, Granary, Gatehouse
Evidence : Ruined Building, Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Dissolved in 1540
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1540
Monument Type : Cistercian Nunnery, Priory
Evidence : Ruined Building, Documentary Evidence, Sub Surface Deposit

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : NY 204
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 32076
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 327445
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 98 SE 11
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SE 98 SE 10
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1972-01-13
End Date : 1972-01-13