HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 662264

Hob Uid: 662264
Location :
Greater London Authority
Greenwich
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ3909077660
Summary : Conduit arch under One Tree Hill in Greenwich Park thought to have been built in 1708. This formed the entrance to a conduit running north to south under One Tree Hill, but was found to be blocked during RCHME field investigations of 1993-94. The conduit comprised a facade consisting three elements; a central block flanked by two curving 'arms', which sloped downwards to ground level. The central block stood 2.2 metres high and was 2.2 metres wide. An arch 1.35 metres high and 0.75 metres wide and now bricked up, formed the entrance. The conduit was inaccessible, but it is recorded that a branch ran eastwards in the direction of Maze Hill.
More information : TQ 3909 7766: Conduit arch under One Tree Hill.

Recorded during the RCHME Greenwich Park Survey, Sep-1993 to Feb-1994.

A semi-circular brick and stone facade, originally the entrance to a conduit running north to south under One Tree Hill, but now blocked.

The facade consists of three elements; a central block flanked by two curving 'arms', which slope downwards to ground level. The arms are of brick, in Flemish Bond, and are butt-jointed to the central block; they appear to be later additions.

The central block stands 2.2m high and is 2.2m wide. The construction is brick in Flemish Bond with a coping of stone slabs. A brick arch, 1.35m high and 0.75m wide and now bricked up, formed the original entrance to the conduit. There is a stone plaque above the arch, similar to that on the Conduit House below Crooms Hill (see TQ 37 NE 38), but the inscription is now illegible.

The brick roof of the conduit can be seen briefly immediately behind the conduit head, running southwards under One Tree Hill. The conduit is now inaccessible, but Webster records that a branch ran eastwards in the direction of Maze Hill (2).

Location plan at 1:1000 scale archived under record TQ 37 NE 69 (UID 610590). (1-2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : RCHME: ROYAL PARKS PROJECT: Greenwich Park Survey Sep-93 to Feb-94
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Webster A D. 1902. Greenwich Park: its history and associations, 16
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park: an archaeological survey. Detailed reports for the NMR
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park, sheet TQ 3977 NW/pencil survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park, sheet TQ 3977 NW/ink survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number :
Source : Greenwich Park: an archaeological survey
Source details :
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Built 1708
Monument End Date : 1708
Monument Start Date : 1708
Monument Type : Conduit Head
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 22716
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 37 NE 88
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 662267
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 404360
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 662262
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 662265
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, RCHME: ROYAL PARKS PROJECT: GREENWICH PARK SURVEY
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1993-09-01
End Date : 1994-02-01