HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Robin Hoods Stone

Hob Uid: 67205
Location :
Liverpool
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : SJ3998086380
Summary : Bronze Age standing stone, originally part of the complex of stone monuments known as the Calderstones which lie to the north east. It was moved from a site in a field called The Stone Hey in 1928 due to housing development. An early photograph depicts cup marks, similar to those recorded on the Calderstones. These marks are now at the base of the stone, buried in the soil beneath the concrete plinth. Recent re-examination of the stone has shown that the cup marks are still visible and are not burried beneath the plinth.
More information : Robin Hood's Stone. A monolith; scheduled Ancient Monument. Moved from original position in Stone Hey in 1928 and re erected
with bronze tablet. (1-1a)

(SJ 3998 8638) Robin Hood's Stone (TI) (2)

Robin Hood's Stone. A stone situated at junction of Booker Avenue and Archerfield Road, supposed to be of Druidical date.
(3)

Robin Hood's Stone. This stone is an ancient monolith and was scheduled in 1924 as an Ancient Monument. Due to housing development in the field where it stood threatening it with destruction, the stone was moved to its present site in August 1928 by the Liverpool Corporation and the Mersey Building Co. A bronze tablet has been placed with the stone and on it is the following inscription:-

"This Monolith known as Robin Hood's Stone, stood in a field named the Stone Hey at a spot 280 feet bearing North from its present position, to which it was moved in August 1928. The arrow below indicates the direction of the original site. This side of the stone formerly faced South".
(4)

The stone is of rectangular form and is approx 2.0 metres high by 0.9 metres wide by 0.4 metres thick. On its SE side there are about 6 or 7 very deep grooves where local legend has it that Robin Hood and his men sharpened their arrows.
(5)

SJ 399 865. Scheduled. (6)

Bronze Age standing stone, originally part of the complex of stone monuments known as the Calderstones which lie to the north east. It was moved from a site in a field called The Stone Hey in 1928 due to housing development. An early photograph depicts cup marks, similar to those recorded on the Calderstones. These marks are now at the base of the stone, buried in the soil beneath the concrete plinth. Scheduled. (7)

Photographs taken by Simon Marshall show that the cups marks are still visible and are not burried beneath the plinth. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : LF Chitty Card Index 18.12.50
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 1a
Source : Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 226-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 80, 1928-9
Source Number : 2
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25"
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book reference
Source details : ONB Lancs 113NE Plan 8 24 Rev of 1937
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire
Source details :
Page(s) : 226-7
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 80, 1928
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 JHO 10-AUG-51
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : County list of Scheduled Monuments : March 1994
Source details : English Heritage SAM List Merseyside March 1994 3
Page(s) : 3
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling amendment, 08-SEP-2003
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comments
Source details : Email from Simon Marshall, 05-MAY-2004
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Bronze Age
Display Date : Bronze Age
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Standing Stone, Cup Marked Stone, Carved Stone
Evidence : Structure
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Moved in 1928
Monument End Date : 1928
Monument Start Date : 1928
Monument Type : Standing Stone, Cup Marked Stone, Carved Stone
Evidence : Structure

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : ME 4
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 33891
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 38 NE 8
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SJ 38 NE 8
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1951-08-10
End Date : 1951-08-10