HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stanlawe Grange

Hob Uid: 67223
Location :
Liverpool
Liverpool
Liverpool
Grid Ref : SJ3899085770
Summary : Stanlawe Grange, a late 13th century cruck building and granary. Some original features of the grange have survived dating from 1291, however, the building has been modified significantly with alterations carried out in the 15th, 16th, 17th and 20th centuries. Stanlawe Grange was the grange for the Cistercian monks at Stanlaw Abbey (also spelt Stanlow). After the dissolution of the monasteries, the grange was leased to Lawrence Ireland and part of the estate granted to the Savoy Hospital in London. By 1550 the grange had passed to the Tarleton family of Fazakerley who, as staunch Catholics, may have used one of the buildings for Mass.The grange buildings are built of red sandstone and comprise of a detached hall, barns, 'monk's quarters', and a granary. The oldest evidence of the original grange is a three-light mullioned window to the left of the front.
More information : (SJ 38998577) No 3 Aigburth Hall Avenue, Garston,
Stanlawe Grange and the Granary said to be a late 13th century cruck building with later work including 15th, 16th, 17th century and modern. Front red sandstone with new windows and dormers with segmental arched heads. Lean-to timber roof over external stone stairs on right (The Granary) with old studded door at top. The oldest fragments probably date from 1291. Grade 2*. (1)

SJ 3885 AIGBURTH HALL AVENUE
SJ 3985 L19

45/25 No. 3 (Stanlawe Grange and the Granary)
46/25
23.2.60

G.V. II*

2 houses. Late C13 cruck building with later work including C15, C16, C17 and modern - it was a grange of Stanlaw Abbey. Front red sandstonewith new windows and dormers, with segmental arched heads. 1st bay 3-light mullioned 1st floor window. Lean-to timber roof over external stone stairs on right (The Granary), with an old studded door at top. Said to have old stone mullioned window at rear. The oldest fragments probably date from 1291, but the present appearance is much modernised. (2)

Stanlawe Grange was the grange for the monk¿s at Stanlow Abbey and it comprised of a detached hall, barns, 'monk's quarters', and a granary. The grange, like most monastic estates, was probably not managed by the monks but by a secular Granger who was given the authority by an abbot.
After the dissolution of the monasteries, Stanlawe Grange was leased to Lawrence Ireland and part of the estate given to the Savoy Hospital in London. By 1550 the grange had passed to the Tarleton family of Fazakerley who, as staunch Catholics, may have used one of the buildings for Mass.
The oldest evidence of the original grange is a three-light mullioned window to the left of the front. (3)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings Liverpool Merseyside 14.3.78, 7
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings City of Liverpool, Part I, Mers, June 1985, 13.
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : World Wide Web page
Source details : Mike Royden's Local History Pages. 2009. The Medieval Landscape of Liverpool Monastic Lands, [Accessed 20-JUL-2009]
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built 1291
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1291
Monument Type : Granary, Cistercian Grange
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Altered 15th C
Monument End Date : 1500
Monument Start Date : 1401
Monument Type : Granary, Cistercian Grange
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Change in function 1536-40
Monument End Date : 1540
Monument Start Date : 1536
Monument Type : Granary, Barn
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered 17th C
Monument End Date : 1700
Monument Start Date : 1601
Monument Type : Granary, Barn
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Altered 20th Century
Monument End Date : 2000
Monument Start Date : 1901
Monument Type : Barn, Granary
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 213615
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SJ 38 NE 14
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 69550
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :
Associated Activities : THE GRANARY, AIGBURTH HALL AVENUE, AIGBURTH
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1999-01-01
End Date : 1999-12-31